Confluence 5.8.4 won't start on CentOS 7

Sergey Bakin June 18, 2015

Hi all,

so I've installed the .bin with the default settings. Visiting localhost:8090 brought up a page, iirc the log in window. One of next pages of the set up process was blank and did not render after waiting a couple of minutes.

Browsing localhost:8090 resolves to "localhost:8090/bootstrap/selectsetupstep.action", which is also a blank page.

What gives?

Note: I've also got JIRA and Stash running on this physical server and Confluence was installed with root priviliges. Also there is the JRE 1.7_80 installed.

PS: The first error in atlassian-confluence.log is::

2015-06-18 17:43:48,334 ERROR [http-nio-8090-exec-3] [atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher] run There was an exception t
hrown trying to dispatch event [com.atlassian.plugin.event.events.PluginModuleEnabledEvent@763b26e8] from the invoker [SingleParameterMethod
ListenerInvoker{method=public void com.atlassian.plugin.webresource.assembler.DefaultWebResourceAssemblerFactory.onPluginModuleEnabled(com.a
tlassian.plugin.event.events.PluginModuleEnabledEvent), listener=com.atlassian.plugin.webresource.assembler.DefaultWebResourceAssemblerFacto
ry@6ed0195d}]
 -- url: /setup/setupembeddeddb-default.action;jsessionid=D294E697E7C275269FD7F746CC0F9374 | userName: anonymous | action: setupembeddeddb-d
efault
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The com.atlassian.plugin.webresource.assembler.WebResourceSetCache.resourceToCo
nditionList Cache is not alive (STATUS_SHUTDOWN)

The log file itself is gigantic ..

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sergey Bakin June 21, 2015

I do not know why and how, but after the weekend Confluence booted up and started working as intended .. (I had the server reboot a couple of times to no avail before posting this issue initially)

I'll try to look into the log files and post a support ticket as @Chuck Talk suggested - if I see any problems there.

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2015

Hi Sergey, 

"Also there is the JRE 1.7_80 installed."...

I couldn't find the link, but there's an issue related to JAVA 1.7 and Confluence 5.8.x. I suggest you to only have JAVA 1.8 on Confluence server if it is possible. 

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

Sergey Bakin June 19, 2015

Thanks for your response, Renato. I had to install JRE 1.7 for Stash, but iirc the Confluence .bin comes with Java packed in. So if nothing went wrong that's what Confluence should be using. Can anyone confirm that there is a problem with JRE 1.7 being installed on the same server? If so, is there any documented way to install Jira, Stash and Confluence all on one physical server?

0 votes
chucktalk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2015

Hi Sergey,

I would verify that the Confluence Home and Install folders are owned by the same user that runs the Confluence application first, as that may contribute to that behavior. I would also recommend opening a ticket with Support to address your issue.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Sergey Bakin June 19, 2015

Hi Chuck, thanks for you input. I've already chown'ed the two Confluence folders (and their content) to the user that's running confluence.

chucktalk
Atlassian Team
June 19, 2015

Hi Sergey, If the problem is that you have two versions of Java installed on the same server, you may have to specify the JAVA_HOME variable in your setenv.sh script in order to make Confluence use the correct version of Java as bundled. You should be able to run the command: user@host~:$ java -version to determine the default version of java in use. If Confluence is trying to start with Java 1.7 and is Confluence 5.8.4, it will not work as Java 1.7 is not supported in Confluence 5.8.x. I recommend opening a ticket with Support to assist you in resolving the issue. Sincerely, Chuck

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events