CAPTCHA on Confluence every first login attempt. Since changing password.

Ariia October 4, 2018

Since changing the password for an administrative user, the user failes their primary login attempt, every time.

The 2nd along with a captcha works.

Confluence is Linked with Jira.

Jira does not have this issue.

I have reset the password again. I have cleared confluence cache. I hace cleared local cache and cookies. I have tried in alternative browsers.  The issue persists.

The issue does not appear to exist for other users.

How can i resolve this?

3 answers

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2018

Hm,

the log shows, that some activity gadgets are accessing Confluence from Jira to display a Confluence activity stream in Jira. This is typically done by impersonation (OAuth) of the user logged into Jira. 

You wrote that this issue happens with an admin user. Is this user create locally on Jira & Confluence? In this case the password has to be set on both systems to the same value. 

Just guessing...

Best 

JP

Ariia October 5, 2018

@JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_

I have found an unusually high number of failed logins. 45k

This is clearly what is causing the captcha.

I have noticed also that the confluence username used be all lowercase.

Yet in Jira the username is capitalised, which matches the username in confluence. 

0 votes
Ariia October 4, 2018

I thought i had found that clearing the stored sessions in Jira solves this issue.

It remains an issue.

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

Hi Stuart,

you could do one more check:

- Ask the user to contact you before he logs in

- Open the user account in the admin section & check for the last logins (successful / unsuccessful) 

- This might give you a hint, if someone/something else tries to (auto-)login with an invalid password

- Make sure the user doesn't use a bookmark to login but enters the URL directly in the browser

Do you use any kind of SSO (Single Sign On) solution? Do you use a common user base (Active Directory / LDAP) with Jira & Confluence?

Best

JP

Ariia October 4, 2018

Hi, thanks for the prompt response. The user is myself, in this case.

The log in jira shows the following, when the error/captcha occurs on confluence front end.

04-Oct-2018 16:13:49.864 WARNING [http-nio-8080-exec-4] com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.filterFormParameters A servlet request, to the URI https://x.x.x.x/rest/gadget/1.0/login, contains form parameters in the
request body but the request body has been consumed by the servlet or a servlet filter accessing the request parameters. Only resource methods using @FormParam will work as expected. Resource methods consuming the request body by other
means will not work as expected.
04-Oct-2018 16:13:54.759 WARNING [http-nio-8080-exec-16] com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.filterFormParameters A servlet request, to the URI https://x.x.x.x/rest/activity-stream/1.0/preferences?_=123456789xxx,
contains form parameters in the request body but the request body has been consumed by the servlet or a servlet filter accessing the request parameters. Only resource methods using @FormParam will work as expected. Resource methods consuming the request body by other means will not work as expected.

There is no SSO.

Jira server & Confluence Server linked, using directory.

Ariia October 5, 2018

@JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_

I thought i had resolved this, however the issue persists.

Am i missing a specific log file perhaps?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events