Any reliable way to see actual wiki markup used for macros? Confluence 4.0

Serena Kirillova November 13, 2011

I need to add some macros to the dashboard but since there's no text editor on dashboard, I sometimes find it hard what wiki markup I need to use. For instance Expand macro... What is suggested on this page: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Expand+Macro doesn't work any more, assuming because it's for 3.5.

Thanks.

4 answers

1 vote
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2012

Hallo LGmin and Ken

The {expand} macro is now bundled with Confluence, so there's no need to add it as a user macro any more. Instead, you should be able to use it (on a page, at least) in the same way as you would add any other macro.

I don't know why Confluence is giving problems when you try to use the {expand} macro on the dashboard. But here's a workaround that may help.

I'm assuming that, at the moment, you are putting all your dashboard text and wiki markup into the "Site Welcome Message" text box on the "General Configuration" page of the Confluence Administration Console.

Instead, you can build the dashboard content in a normal wiki page. That means that, on the page, you can use the new {expand} macro and any other rich content that you like, edited via the new editor. And you can do the initial insertion of the wiki markup via the "Insert Wiki Markup" option on that page.

When the content is ready on that page, you can use a single line of wiki markup to put that page onto the dashboard:

{include:SPACEKEY:Page Name}

Put the above wiki markup into the "Site Welcome Message" text box.

The documentation gives some examples here:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Editing+the+Site+Welcome+Message#EditingtheSiteWelcomeMessage-Example3IncludingContentfromAnotherPage

I hope this solves the problem for you!

Cheers, Sarah

0 votes
Ken Bour May 9, 2012

Sarah:

Sorry for the delay in pursuing this issue, but I tried your suggestion today, that is:

1. I cut the content from the original Dashboard box (containing the expand macro content) and added it to a new Wiki page and, indeed, the expand macro works just fine there (see screenshot #1).
  2. I then inserted this line into the place where the original content was located (under Edit Dashboard): {include:ForumHelp:ICANN Dashboard-Include}

Unfortunately, when Confluence brings in the included page, it STILL completely expands the content (see screenshot #2).

Real estate on the Dashboard is precious and I would really like to use the {expand} macro there...any other ideas?

Ken

===

First image is the page containing the expand macro - works fine on that separate page.

Second image shows the Dashboard after the {include} macro was added. The content is auto-expanded and there is no option to shrink.

B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2012

Hi,

Instead on Expand on the dashboard, use this:

<a href="javascript:;" onmousedown="if(document.getElementById('navigate').style.display == 'none'){ document.getElementById('navigate').style.display = 'block'; }else{ document.getElementById('navigate').style.display = 'none'; }"><h1>Click here to expand the div</h1></a>
                    <div class="welcome-message" id=navigate style="display:none;">

text her

</div>
0 votes
Ken Bour April 4, 2012

I have the same problem as the original poster. I have a Dashboard (Confluence v4.1.9) with the following macro that used to work fine in v3.5.9:

{expand:title=Click here to learn about linking to pages outside of Confluence}
{note}Users should be alerted to use the *Tiny Link* (URL) when referencing pages outside of Confluence (e.g., bookmarks, e-mails). From any page (except the Dashboard), type the keyboard letter "k" and copy/paste the middle *Tiny Link* which will always remain permanent even though the Wiki page may be moved internally for administrative purposes.{note}
{expand}

I can use the expand macro on any other page; however, it appears that, because the Dashboard is still Wiki Markup, the macro is not being recognized.

Are you suggesting that I copy the User Macro and install in Confluence v4.1.9?

Ken

Ken Bour April 4, 2012

Incidentally, I tried to add the User Macro, but received a warning that a system macro by that name already exists.

Ken

0 votes
Matt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2011

Refer to the 3.5 version of our documentation:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF35/Expand+Macro

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events