Add custom style to the confluence editor

Michael Ruderer August 19, 2016

Hi,

i want to add custom styles to the predefined styles in the confluence editor.
I´ve read a lot of other threads where the statement was that this is not possible.

Is there still no possibility to add those styles?

Example:

image2016-8-19 14:1:13.png

Regards,

Michael

4 answers

0 votes
Dan Buhler September 17, 2016

Turns out in all my experimentation I couldn't use just plain javascript to add to the TinyMCE options. It appears that it needs to be done upon loading to modify the UI.

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2016

That is basically what I am saying. Just keep in mind, this is Confluence, so there are many parts of the menu you just don't have access to, or are not documented. wink So be  prepared for some experimentation!

0 votes
Dan Buhler September 12, 2016

I've been wondering if I can do it with the TinyMCE API and just add javascript to the Confluence theme.

https://www.tinymce.com/docs/api/tinymce/tinymce.formatter/

This really shouldn't be so complicated. And macros that format text in-line in the TinyMCE editor should also be easier to build.

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2016

Possible? Yes. Easy? No. Confluence uses a version of TinyMCE, so it is possible to write a plugin for TinyMCE to add styles (basically adding references to classed HTML tags). The second part of the solution is easy – adding custom CSS to Confluence.

The workaround is user macros. Not as elegant, but does get the job done. For example, I wrote some simple user macros years ago we use for formatting figure and table titles in Confluence (and when exported) – a hole that has been in Confluence since the start.

Keep in mind, that the editor was designed by coders and not tech writers. wink

Mattias Van doninck February 1, 2017

Did anyone ever try writing a plugin to add styles? Did it work?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events