A small Confluence installation on a 512MB virtual server - possible?

Kristian Rasmussen February 20, 2012

I need a small Confluence with few simultaneous users, so I've subscribed to a cheap Ubuntu virtual server with 512 MB ram at alvotech.de and installed Confluence onto it. Now, my problem is that Confluence keeps hogging 4-500 MB of memory, which ultimately crashes the server as soon as it's put under just a little bit of pressure.

To reduce its memory usage I've tried two things (simultaneously):

1) Halved the allowed sizes in JAVA_OPTS so that it's now:

-Xms128m -Xmx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

2) Tried to disable caching by setting, in ehcache.xml:

maxElementsInMemory="0"

Neither has any effect on memory usage - it's still around 4-500 MB.

Am I way off track here? Should I give up and buy myself a larger, non-virtual server? Or is it possible to get the memory usage below 512 MB?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Wendel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2012

Hello Kristian,

Virtualisation is not a problem at all. We run several instances of Atlassian products on virtual Linux servers. The problem as I see it is the amount of memory your virtual server has. Confluence alone needs 512 MB as a minimum.

Have you considered signing-up for Confluence OnDemand instead? Starting at USD 10.-- it is probably cheaper than your hosted Linux server and you don't have to worry about anything (Updates, security-fixes, etc.) at all.

Cheers,

Thomas

2 votes
Sergey E. Zaytsev February 20, 2012

Check the swapfile on server.

Make swapfile 1G (or extend swap partition).

It should be enough for work 1-2 users, but slow enough.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2012

Very unlikely to work with 512MB. Confluence needs more memory with all the plugins it has now. I suggest you try 1GB (atleast!)!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events