cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link to undefined, placeholder pages

46 comments

Traci Wilbanks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2020

@Sarah Moens and @Patrick O_Malley - The blog is published weekly on Mondays.  You can watch the blog so that you'll get notified when a new one is posted.  

Traci Wilbanks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2020

Hi again @Sarah Moens 

Your comment about using placeholder links in templates just hit me. 

Placeholder links can't be added to templates right now.  The team chose to rollout the basic functionality sooner rather than later and build on the additional characteristics, like adding links from the toolbar and slash command.  Adding these kinds of links to templates is being discussed.

We'll share more information here in Community ASAP, but watch the blog to be notified when features actually start their rollout.

Thanks!
Traci

Sarah Moens August 11, 2020

Hi @Traci Wilbanks 

Thank you for the information. I will watch the blog to follow-up on additional features.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Roel Thys August 19, 2020

Hi @Traci Wilbanks 

I was wondering if there were any future plans to either include a template in the link to an undefined page, or if it creates a blank page, to then still apply a template on that blank page? 

We currently have some templates defined that we require user to use, but the link to undefined page as it is designed now, doesn't allow for the use of templates. Or am I missing something?

Kr, Roel

Traci Wilbanks
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2020

You are correct, @Roel Thys

The placeholder link feature doesn't work in templates, yet.  The team understands the need, and discussions are happening.  More info when we have it.

~Traci

Gary Holeman September 11, 2020

@Traci WilbanksI think that @Roel Thys's question is not about using placeholders within a template, but in enforcing the use of a template when someone clicks on the placeholder to create the page.  I have the same issue.  I don't want someone to click on the placeholder and start from a blank page, which is what it does now.  I want either a specified template to be applied to the new page or some way of setting the default template for my space.  Is there any way to do that?

Like Roel Thys likes this
Ed Laczynski September 11, 2020

Thank you!

Roel Thys September 13, 2020

@Gary Holeman @Traci Wilbanks Indeed, I wasn't referring to putting "undefined links" inside a template. I was referring to the page creation after clicking an "undefined link". As Gary says, today you get just a blank page. It would be nice to have the ability to choose your template at that point instead of having to recreate the template each time from a blank page because you can't apply existing templates. It doesn't necessarily need to be forced imo, but I can see how there could be a use case for that at some companies.

Edit: I am wondering though if this might realize what I'm hoping for above:  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Template-Previews-and-Categories-coming-soon-to-your-site/ba-p/1458455?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_article&utm_content=topic

Traci Wilbanks
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2020

AHHH!  Thanks you for helping clarify this @Gary Holeman and @Roel Thys

I now see what you mean.  If I'm with you, you want the person creating the placeholder link to set which template will be used when the placeholder is selected and the new page is created.  I'm not sure this was part of the discussion...yet.  I'll make sure to pass this along to the team.

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Gary Holeman September 14, 2020

There you go, @Traci Wilbanks , you got it exactly.

Like Traci Wilbanks likes this
mat jung September 16, 2020

Sounds like I am not the only one who struggles with creating links to new pages.

Macurion November 17, 2020

Hi @Traci Wilbanks ,
great feature which I was looking forward to, is there a way yet to list / search for all placeholder pages in order to get an overview what still needs to be created?

Kind regards
Marc

Traci Wilbanks
Atlassian Team
November 20, 2020

@Macurion - There is!  Go to Space Settings > Content Tools > Undefined Pages
That tab shows you pages that haven't been defined (haven't been created) and the page on which the placeholder link exists.  

We are thinking about a better label for that tab.  If a page hasn't been created, can it really be called a page?  Would love to know if this is just overthinking things or if that tab name makes sense.

Cheers!
Traci  

Skip Sailors November 23, 2020

It is an unset link, a dangling reference, a link without a page, an empty link, a link to an unwritten page, a citation to nothing, ...

Like Dave Liao likes this
BrianK January 12, 2021

So many thanks! I was about to pull my hair out missing this.

Alistair Morgan May 20, 2021

This is an absolutely critical feature and despite all this discussion it still does not work. 
If I edit a page and type  
[Placeholder Page Name]().

When I publish the page it appears as [Placeholder Page Name]() it is not interpreted as an undefined page.  Its not interpreted at all.

Any tips for this increasingly despairing user.  I am on cloud version 

Confluence 1000.0.0-7eb8736e5518

I am the internal atlassian champion for my work and I can no longer support the use of confluence as an internal wiki if this doesnt work.  Sorry to be so harsh but this worked in the old editor and was removed.  It is a standard wiki feature.

Edit
For anyone else reading this.

I raised a level 2 ticket and within 2 hours I tried it again and it now works
no contact from Atlassian other than automated "well look at it" ticket updates its just fixed.
My confluence cloud version is now

Confluence 1000.0.0-1a1c7fa99389

Im based in Sydney Australia

Thanks Atlassian.  Dont know what buttons you twiddled but cheers

Like # people like this
Fondation Energeia December 9, 2021

Thanks @Alistair Morgan 

this is exactly what I experience: 

"When I publish the page it appears as [Placeholder Page Name]() it is not interpreted as an undefined page.  Its not interpreted at all."

How is it possible to update the cloud version number as you mentioned? 

Mine is

Confluence 1000.0.0-120d725a62d0

and it does not work. @Traci Wilbanks any ideas how to reach the level Alistair Morgan reached via his ticket level 2? 

Would help a lot thanks for your help, community, thanks for the service atlassian-team, highly appreciated. 

FL

UPDATE..... NOW it works :-) Incredible. What happened? Fine I can do this wiki -formatting which helps a lot! Will there be also a button in future just to wiki-fy the word or phrase... then it will be fast as lightning to create network-information. When could this be ready?  Thanks a lot.  

Traci Wilbanks
Atlassian Team
December 10, 2021

@Fondation Energeia glad to hear that it is now working. Did it just need a page refresh? Curious to know what the lag time was between it not working, you seeking help here, and then it working.

This wiki formatting method is not meant to be the end of of the evolution of this feature. Stay tuned. :)

Like Rico Pagliuca likes this
Aaron Bernstein April 9, 2024

@Traci Wilbanks what's the current status of this? it doesn't seem like I'm currently able to create a link to an undefined page which, after the page is created, then links to that page rather than to a "create page" url

Hannah Sanderson
Atlassian Team
April 11, 2024

This is currently a high-priority issue for us, and we're working on a fix. Thank you so much for your patience, and I'll definitely reach back out when I have a better sense of when it is expected to be resolved.

Like # people like this
Aaron Bernstein April 12, 2024

Thanks @Hannah Sanderson fyi we have opened a support ticket JST-989098

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events