Adding/deleting attachments in Confluence will no longer trigger an email notification

60 comments

akatz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 27, 2022

Hi,

This feature should be configurable, per user, I don't understand why you decided to simply remove it.

Thanks,

Assaf

Like # people like this
Anastasia Gourina December 28, 2022

Hi there,

When in 2023 will this take effect? Just so we can prep our users.

jobo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 2, 2023

@Nancy Shao do you know by any chance if the same is planned for Confluence Data Center?

MARK RENSHAW
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 3, 2023

Agree with those who say make it optional - not force everyone to have it on or off.

Like # people like this
Trout, Mark
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 4, 2023

This is good way for us to keep up to do on updated Materials for each module. Adding is more important than the deleting for me

Like # people like this
Dave Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 5, 2023

This seems like a mistake to me. Why would Confluence notify me about some page changes but not others? I don't support this change, and I think you can see from the other commenters here that they don't either.

Like # people like this
Nancy Shao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2023

@Anastasia Gourina end of January 2023
@jobo this is for Confluence Cloud, only 

Like Josef Bocklage likes this
anovosel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 5, 2023

It will be disappointing to lose this feature as I use it daily.  

Like # people like this
LB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 5, 2023

I need this functionality as a site admin. Is there any way this could be an account-level preference, with the default set to no? Or maybe just restricted to site admins? I need to moderate thousands of attachments so taking away the notifications is not sustainable for me.

With that said, hundreds of my front-end users find this functionality annoying so I definitely understand why the dev team focused on this.

Like # people like this
Josef Bocklage
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 6, 2023

Hi @Atlassian Team, Hi @Nancy Shao ,

I am very disappointed on what's happens with this removal.

I am working as a head on Operations, PaaS, IaC and SaaS and I am depending on this kind of Informations to do my job properly where I have to observe if something in our knowledge management has changed. I am observing entire spaces and it is not a distraction -it's my job to get aware of it. You guys stealing an important item. For example, we have quite a lot of drawings and if one is disappearing on what reason ever and I am not aware of it we have a lot of discussion inside the Team. It is on me to bring my Teams to success and remove even this little item will cause me discussion which will take more times than even reading the change announcements. For adding and removing.

Guys, don't touch the notification. Make it more configurable, but just don't remove it without any substitute.

upset,

Josef

Like # people like this
Robert Thomas January 6, 2023

@Nancy Shao

Since the comments on this page are running 99% against the decision to remove notifications, and the commenters offered a simple solution (making notifications configurable) will Atlassian reconsider their decision? 

Like # people like this
Arkadi Avrukin January 6, 2023

While watching all the recent comments on the topic, it becomes very clear that majority of customers are against this strange decision to remove notifications.

Now, I believe as customers, we should stop begging: if the company doesn't care about us, we need to start looking for a different provider(s). Any suggestions?

Like # people like this
johnhigg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 6, 2023

Atlassian is disabling this not because a new feature is coming but probably because there is some deep-seated architecture problem that must go away ASAP or that it conflicts with some other business priority (storage costs, making docs less useful, and people will use them less). Atlassian has not been a pro-customer org for at least 5 years now.

Does anyone remember the SSO account change mess? It took years for them to figure out what they had broken. (What? Do you mean you access MULTIPLE Atlassian instances with DIFFERENT email addresses?!?! Why would any ever do that?) Sigh.. This is more of the same.

They have a unique way of gaslighting you to make their architectural mistakes a user error.

There is no alternative. They know it. So we all just suck it up. 

This feature is disappearing and will re-emerge in some broken state in a few years and finally be useful again around 2027.

Like Robert Thomas likes this
Stacey Hagler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 6, 2023

I strongly agree that this feature needs to stay, it is a very effective tool.  We have hundreds of pages, and if someone changes a document on one of my account information pages, I need to know immediately.  The ability to see if a document changed on a page is crucial information.  It sounds like Confluence is making it easy on themselves.  You are an IT platform company, I would think a way around this could be figured out on your end, and in advance of removing a feature, and just telling people it's going away.  Companies spend a lot of money to use the Confluence product to meet their business needs.  

There are many very excellent comments above by other users, with very valid reasons to keep this email notification feature.  This isn't just a nice feature, some people depend on these notifications to effectively do their job.  If I'm inundated with email notifications for pages that are not mine to maintain, I simply delete the email.  Confluence needs to rethink this.  

Like # people like this
Steffen Vester January 11, 2023

I agree with the comments above. We find these notifications very useful - please make them optional instead of removing it. Thanks!

Like Robert Thomas likes this
Jacques January 12, 2023

This again, is the typical approach of let's get rid of it and then see if we get it back later.

All the arguments for removing it basically tells me that users want to be able to manage WHICH notifications they want to receive. The problem with Confluence is that you get all or none. What we need here is a incremental approach:

1. First, implement a feature where users, in their profile, can identify which notifications they would like to receive. If people are not interested in the attachments-notifications, then they can disable them. If they don't want notifications about updates, then also: disable it.
  2. Next, and improving on the first approach, is adding these same personal settings, but on a space per space level. This will give a fine grained selection of which notifications you wish to receive.

I agree with all those above that these attachment notifications are very useful in specific cases as you don't want to go to each individual page and see if there are updates... This is a useless and time consuming workaround.

Please reconsider.

Jacques.

Like # people like this
Anna Lena Baumann January 12, 2023

We are very much looking forward to this change - just had a look: 519 unread emails due to deletions since November 8, 2022 for a space I am watching. I had been searching for a while to turn those off, finally just gave up and had Outlook sort them into a folder I don't much look at any more.

So I think, like-minded people are just not commenting in this thread because there is no need for them to do so: what they want is what is Atlassian is planning to do.

However, I do agree partly: If others need it why remove the feature entirely and completely omitting reports on some of the changes does in any case seem not quite thorough enough.

Like Nancy Shao likes this
forde.prigot January 12, 2023

Anna Lena Baumann you literally have a solution that you are or can readily use, folders. 

"finally just gave up and had Outlook sort them into a folder I don't much look at any more."

You don't even need to keep them in folders you can create a rule to just discard them. There are people here who rely on those messages. You have a solution if they remove them you remove the solution that people are already using.

This is literally removing functionality people are currently using. If they want to create an option to toggle it on/off that works. I would make the toggle page specific, similar to watching.

They should pause the removal until they can create the toggle. How hard can this be?

Like # people like this
Anna Lena Baumann January 12, 2023

@forde.prigot , I only voiced my opinion as the commenters here seemed to be persuaded that no one actually wants this feature to be changed. No need to bash like that when reading to the end of my comment would have been enough.

Arkadi Avrukin January 12, 2023

An individual receives notifications from the groups/pages he/she is signed to. If a person at a relatively high level, there is no need to receive notifications from all leaves... Otherwise, there's also no need to be signed to everything. 

srinivasrao_mutyam January 15, 2023

Noo,,,,,, Please don't remove it completely and make it at least optional to get these messages!

Those attached documents are esential to the content of the corresponding page. There is data, manuals etc. in there and we need to know if those are available, got updated, got accidently deleted because these pages are a cucial part for our work.
It would be a big waste of time to check each an every document manually on a daily base for the latest changes.

We request to keep it as it is

Like # people like this
dennis_bezemer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 19, 2023

Vote against complete removal. Make it optional and per default 'as is'. Kindly suggest to start a vote on this topic to give the users a voice on this -for me- important functionality.

Like # people like this
Wyatt Best January 25, 2023

Apparently not a common sentiment, but I like this change. 😃 Confluence sends way too many notifications.

Arkadi Avrukin January 25, 2023

Indeed, not a common sentiment: the majority is against this change. Moreover, they know how not to receive notifications they don't want to see...

Like S_ Francoeur likes this
Anna Lena Baumann January 25, 2023

@Arkadi Avrukin - would you mind explaining how I can watch a space or a page and not get notifications about file deletions where new files have been uploaded again or the old ones replaced (don't know what was done by the editing person)?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events