💬 Add comments to images and videos in Confluence

Hi Atlassian Community 👋

I’m Rory, a Product Manager on the Atlassian Editor team.

I’m excited to announce that collaboration on Confluence pages just got easier - you can now comment directly on images and videos just like you can with text!

Commenting while viewing pages

• To add a comment, hover over the image or video to display the comment button.

• To view existing comments, select the comment badge which appears in the top right corner of the image or video.

RndererEx (1).gif

Commenting while editing pages

• To add a comment, use the comment icon in the floating toolbar.

• To view existing comments, select the comment badge which appears in the top right corner of the image or video.

EdEx (1).gif

Note: Comments on inline images and files are not currently supported, however this is something we will be looking at in the future.

We are rolling out this feature incrementally, so if you don’t see it yet, rest assured - you will soon! Please let us know what you think or ask any questions in the comments below - we would ❤️ your feedback.

Happy commenting!

10 comments

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2024

Love the idea that we can comment on video content. Since the video exists in the page, but the text/speech is contained in the video file, it's always been a struggle to connect a page comment to the actual file or files on the page. This will enhance the value of the feedback 100%.

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2024

This will be great for letting an author know when a screenshot is out of date or that they should show different data or highlight another aspect of the image.

Like # people like this
Bri May 9, 2024

@Rory Baker Excited this is coming, however when this showed up for us today, it's a bit buggy yet for pages with videos:

(Viewing mode) I have a page with an image, then below that a video, and below that another video. When I click to add a comment the popup on the image it works as expected, but when I add an image on the videos, the popup to accept the image appears at the top of the page (so for videos that are at the bottom of a page that you scroll to reach, you do not see the popup). 

After scrolling up to find the popup and adding a comment, the comment stays at the top of the screen, however the popup window is cut off, and I can't view/access top buttons: 

Screenshot 2024-05-09 093604.png

If I do enter text and save, the comment does not appear to save on the video (and refreshing the page does not surface it). 

On a page where I only use images (no videos) the feature works as expected,

Like # people like this
Rory Baker
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2024

Great feedback, thank you all!

It's fantastic to hear how you might be using this feature - please continue to share this with us 🙌

@Bri - thank you for raising this. We will investigate and report back.

Like # people like this
Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2024

Hey @Rory Baker – that's great news. Here is a request for the backlog though:

Back in the Server/DC days it was possible to attach the comment at a particular location on the image. That would be even more awesome.

Like # people like this
Rory Baker
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2024

Hey @Bri , just letting you know the issue you raised above should be resolved now - apologies for any inconvenience here!

@Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_ - yes I agree that would be awesome 😉 this is on the teams radar but not something we are looking at taking forward at this point in time. One thing that would really help the owning team is if you can share any specifics around your use cases for positional comments on images/files. In other words please help us better understand where you think it will bring the most value to your workflow. Thank you!

Like # people like this
Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2024

@Rory Baker main use-case is providing feedback about particular parts of an image, e.g. for collaboration with (graphic) designers.

Like Rory Baker likes this
Bri May 14, 2024

@Rory Baker Confirmed it is working as expected now, Thanks! 

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 6, 2024

I've already used this feature a few times: https://youtube.com/shorts/pjuFPdGy-ZI
Thanks @Rory Baker

Rory Baker
Atlassian Team
June 10, 2024

Amazing - thanks for sharing the good news as always @Matt Reiner _K15t_ ! 🙌

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events