Can I ensure or request my data is stored in a spefic region with my Cloud hosting ?

Vinod Jayachandran May 22, 2019

For compliance reasons, I want to ensure that my data resides in a specific region (say California)

With my cloud hosting of Jira/BitBucket/Confluence can i request/insist on which region my data must reside ?

1 answer

0 votes
lauren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2019

Hi @Vinod Jayachandran ,

Thank you for reaching out.

Our platform optimizes where customer data is located based on origin of access, so we can't promise that all your data is isolated to a particular region. As an example, if the majority of users access your organization's Jira or Confluence cloud instances from Europe, then their data will be migrated to and stored in European AWS data center. Our AWS data centers for Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, and Confluence are located in regions across the United States, Germany, Ireland, Singapore, and Australia.

However, this is an offering we are currently working on - I'd love to get a better feeling for what data needs to be isolated to a particular region in order to meet your requirements. For example, would you need just primary product data stored in the U.S., or would you also need identity data and app/integration data stored here as well? 

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Dominique Laporte May 28, 2020

Hi Lauren or any member of the atlassian team.

This post is quite old. Is there an improved answer to this same question ?

As the users of our account are all located in France, at least in Europe, how can I be sure that our data are rightly located in AWS Europe region ?

We're using Cloud JIRA and Confluence only.

James O'Brien July 3, 2020

I concur with Dominique, I would like to know this also from Atlassian.

I have a client that also mandates that data cannot leave the DE regions. If Atlassian JSD cloud is AWS hosted, then that would be region eu-central-1, for example.

It seems an academic thing to do here, and with the given GDPR and amongst other compliances that are around today and in the future, it should not be tied to a certain paid Atlassian tier either. Otherwise you will see that the cloud product is no longer fit for purpose for many SME with stricter governance and for their clients that need to adhere to it.

Smaller SME etc, simply do not have the financials to buy the enterprise packages if this is where this option is leading too...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events