New! Inserting Jira issues into Confluence pages is easier than ever ✨

Hi Atlassian Community,

I’m David Michelson, a product manager on Confluence Cloud. We've been working on an exciting update to modernize the experience of inserting Jira issues into Confluence--making keeping your team in sync about work in Jira easier than ever. Introducing, Jira Issues (/Jira Issues)! We are gradually rolling out the feature, so you may not see it in your instance yet.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.22.45 AM-20231016-182250.png

Using what we’ve learned from how customers use our previous solution, the Jira Issues Macro (formerly /Jira, now /Jira Legacy), we’ve made it easier than ever to insert and view Jira issues in Confluence using our new element, Jira Issues (/Jira Issues), thanks to the following improvements:

• ✍️ JQL suggestions, syntax highlighting, and error highlighting

• 🤌 Drag-and-drop field re-ordering & a simple dropdown to add or remove fields

• 🎨 Modernized and simplified visual design

• ♾️ Infinite scroll through Jira issues

• 👆 Powerful hover preview for Jira issues 
  • 🔎 Support for basic keyword search & simple Project, Type, Status, and Assignee Dropdowns

To get started with Jira Issues, when editing a Confluence page:

Select the + menu in the toolbar, search for "Jira," and pick “Jira Issues”

image-20231016-182613.png

Or, just type "/jira" directly in the editor and pick “Jira Issues”

image-20231016-182542.png

Then, make a search for the issues you’d like to insert either with basic keyword and dropdown search or JQL (learn more about JQL). For example, you may want to grab all the issues assigned to your team that have not yet been resolved so you can report on your team's progress in Confluence.

If you are a member of multiple Jira sites, use the site selector at the top to pick the issues from the site you choose.

Basic keyword and dropdown search:

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.52.50 AM.png

JQL:

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.52.56 AM.png

Once you have the issues you’re looking for, you can add or remove the fields/columns you want to display by clicking the column selector in the top right of the issue table. Then, you can drag-and-drop to re-order them if you like by simply clicking and holding the top of a column and dragging to a desired location.

If you’d like to insert issues as a simple count view smart link, select “COUNT VIEW” in the top corner.

Hit “Insert issues” and you’re done!

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 9.56.17 AM.png

If you need to make any updates to your search query, simply click on the table or count link you inserted while editing and hit the pencil icon found in the toolbar at the bottom.

image-20230828-170053.png

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 9.19.01 AM.png

Now that you've inserted Jira Issues, try hovering over an issue key or summary! Notice the helpful preview where you can quickly copy the issue link, open a preview, and even update the status, right from Confluence 🤩

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 9.30.53 AM.png

For an even simpler insertion experience, you can also just paste the URL of any Jira issue search or filter into the page, and it will automatically display as a Jira Issues table.

• Just like the other methods, you can add or remove fields you want to display, and drag-and-drop to re-order them if you like.

• If you need to make any updates to your search query, or whether you want it to show up as a table or count view, simply click on the table while editing and hit the pencil icon.

• If you’d like to show a basic blue link instead, just hit undo after pasting.

FAQ

How can I give feedback about Jira Issues?
Leave a comment right on this post! We are planning improvements to Jira Issues (for example, adding simple dropdown filters to basic search for fields like Project, Status, Assignee, and Type) and would love to hear from you (Update on 12/14/2023: We've released these!)

Why am I not seeing Jira Issues in my instance yet?
Since we are gradually rolling out Jira Issues to customer instances, you may not see Jira Issues just yet, but you should in the near future.

Does Jira Issues work with Jira Server issues?
Jira Issues will not support Jira Server issues. Jira Server customers will still be able to use the Jira Issues Macro, which supports Jira Server issues, via /Jira Legacy

Can I use Jira Issues to display Jira information within vendor macros or Confluence macros like the Page Properties Report?
Jira Issues will not initially support vendor macros and some Confluence macros like the Page Properties Report (it will appear as a link to those macros). In the meantime, customers can still use the Jira Issues Macro, which supports vendor macros and Confluence macros like the Page Properties Report, via /Jira Legacy

39 comments

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2023

Why are the colors of the status lozenges not corresponding to the status category (i.e. grey for to do, blue for in progress and green for done)?

To Do is pink/purple and Closed is red? Very confusing.

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2023

Oh wow! This looks great, I'll try it for my status update docs 🔥

Like # people like this
Debbie Jolley October 30, 2023

@Dave Mathijs agree with you re the confusion. 
It seems there's some inconsistency in the screenshots they've used in the article

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2023

@Debbie Jolley It's not only in the screenshots used, it's an effective issue in the app.

Like Summer.Hogan likes this
Dan Tombs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2023

Minus the status lozenge colours not matching as @Dave Mathijs correctly pointed out (think this is a genuine concern as users who are scanning are not going to see things in a way they are used to and is standard in every other aspect), this is really good to see improvements to the Jira macros. It is much needed and finally great to see improvements between the two applications.

Like # people like this
JG Meillaud _ October 31, 2023

Hi,

This looks great at first glance!

Conversion from legacy needed?

A legacy editor is mentionned in the article. Will we have to convert the macro to the new Jira issue macro or will this be automatic?

I agree with the others about the colours

Inconsistent colours are confusing, however it would be great to be able to manually associate statuses to custom colours in the macro itself.

Cheers,
JG

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2023

Thanks @David Michelson - I'll have to test some of these new features out! 

Paulius Jankevicius
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 9, 2023

It looks nice but it has a serious bug: it does not work when there is 1 item in the results. This bug is causing a big trouble in our work flows. It puts a regular link of one item in this case, and only puts this nice table if there are 2+ items.

Is this going to be fixed?

Like # people like this
James Crossman November 14, 2023

This doesn't seem to work when exporting to PDF.

All I get is a hyperlinked address to Jira - which makes the export to PDF completely useless for my purposes.

Like # people like this
Rino Moen November 15, 2023

👎
I have a whole setup with the old 'Edit Jira Issues/Filter'

Please make the old version an option to use, I don't want a scroll box on my page.
Also add option to edit how many issues are displayed at once, this box is so slim I can only view 13 issues at once

Also clicking the column header doesn't sort.

It does have it's charm and is useful but it seems like this needs more work and user testing, looks more modern but doesn't work as one would expect on all aspects

Adjusting the columns is also a nightmare, what logic is used here? I move one column border and all of them shift

Edit: I see now the legacy option is available

Like # people like this
Priya.Perera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 22, 2023

New feature looks great, but it has brought back the word-wrap issue. Blast to the past : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-28378

It would be fantastic once this is fixed. :)

Like # people like this
Kim Bartolome
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 23, 2023

This feature is fantastic!

I am trying to expose the Project Board Name but am unable to successfully pull the information from the standard Jira field name 'project'. Is this a known limitation if my query spans across a project category?

Jörg Hoffmann November 30, 2023

Didn't have a chance to try yet:

Does this macro refresh automatically based on the filter like a Jira dashboard or is it just static and the JQL query is only used once to get the issues you want to insert?

oren.david November 30, 2023

Long text is truncated. Sometimes it's required to see the full text.

Like # people like this
Patrick Russell December 1, 2023

Display on larger screens seems to not work when in viewer mode:

image.png

However, when editing the same, I can manipulate the column width and have the expected rendering:

image.png

frederic December 1, 2023

Looks like a great improvement! Just tried it and it works great. Autocomplete in the JQL query would be a nice delighter. But already very happy with this!

JG Meillaud _ December 4, 2023

Hello,

I started using it and as @Rino Moen said, the scrolling makes it useless in most of our cases.

Please add a heigth parameter in row number with an option to display all rows.

Cheers,
JG

Like # people like this
David Michelson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2023

Hi all, thank you so much for your feedback. We are reviewing and considering it as we plan future updates! 

Also, when we first published this article we mentioned that we were planning to make Basic search even easier by adding simple dropdown filters for fields like Project, Status, Assignee, and Type. I'm happy to announce that those are now available! I've updated the article and added a screenshot below of the new experience.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.52.50 AM.png

Like Regan Smith likes this
Julia Wolf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 14, 2023

Hi David, we like the new macro a lot! Unfortunately there are 2 inconveniences:

multi-line text is not displayed completely

This is not only annoying when looking at the page itself, but we are creating our Release Notes (PDF Export) via Confluence pages and can't use the new macro, because it is not showing the texts.

if there is only one result, it doesn't show the columns

For our use it doesn't matter if the Jira filter finds 20 or just 1 issue - we always need the information from the different columns for our workflow.

Please add these features.

Thank you :-)

Julia

Like Tami Dubi likes this
Brian Clow
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 20, 2023

I like the idea, it's much more usable that the old macro, and seems more performant as well.

But as other have commented, without wrapping and displaying rich content in multi-line text fields, we cannot replace the old macro with this one.

Like Lisa FW likes this
Morgan Watts December 27, 2023

Feedback/question:

When you put in a query that only returns one issue, it simply provides that issue as a smart link/card and not in tabular format. 

Are there any plans to allow for single issues to appear in tabular format rather than just smart links?

On one of my Confluence pages it has seemed to have bugged and allowed the table to present just one issue, but typically when I use the marco and insert a query that pulls a singular issue, as previously stated, it's only in smart link format.  

Edit- I found a way to get single issues to appear in tabular format. If you take a query that returns multiple issues, press "enter" or "insert issues," to populate the pop-up window. Leaving the current window open, switch the query to the one that returns one issue, DO NOT PRESS "enter" just press "insert issues." This will leave the pop-up window un-updated, showing the previous results but inserts a table of the query you actually want. 

Like Dirk De Munter likes this
Sumita Chugh Paul
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 18, 2024

This is a great update to the previous Jira Filter and more user-friendly. We use these filters on Confluence pages for Tracking Teams & projects in one page.

The biggest issue with the new Jira Filter is the Original Estimate/Remaining Estimate values show in seconds instead of Hours/Days. This is available in Jira Legacy filter. It would be great if this could be updated.

New Jira:

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 1.44.55 PM.png

Jira Legacy:

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 1.43.36 PM.png

FEB 22, 2024 Update: This has been fixed. Thank you so much!

Like # people like this
Natalia Linchenko January 18, 2024

This is awesome! Question, can you update status in the timeline in confluence as well? 

"Now that you've inserted Jira Issues, try hovering over an issue key or summary! Notice the helpful preview where you can quickly copy the issue link, open a preview, and even update the status, right from Confluence"

Benjamin Sadoux
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 19, 2024

It looks great!

Would it be possible to add a feature to order the tickets based on the column we want? 

Lucas Bienaimé
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 19, 2024

Hi, first of all it is much easier to use than before (especially when reordering columns), congrats!

However, I'd love if there was a way to tell it that long text should wrap. This is really an issue when you try to have descriptive fields (for example I put my Story in there, so people can have a reference without opening Jira), only the begining can be read on most screens.

Cheers!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events