Issues with maven, clover and and aspectJ

I am encountering an incompatibility between the aspectj-maven-plugin and clover-maven-plugin

The symptom of the error, is that when I compile I get a message like:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:aspectj-maven-plugin:1.7:compile (default) on project ActiveMQCommon: The artifact veeva.ecm.common:solr-aspects referenced in aspectj plugin as an aspect library, is not found the project dependencies -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:aspectj-maven-plugin:1.7:compile (default) on project ActiveMQCommon: The artifact veeva.ecm.common:solr-aspects referenced in aspectj plugin as an aspect library, is not found the project dependencies
 at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:212)
 at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)
 at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)
 at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:116)
 at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:80)
 at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThreadedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)
 at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:128)
 at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:307)
 at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:193)
 at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:106)
 at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.execute(MavenCli.java:863)
 at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.doMain(MavenCli.java:288)
 at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:199)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:289)
 at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:229)
 at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:415)
 at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:356)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: The artifact veeva.ecm.common:solr-aspects referenced in aspectj plugin as an aspect library, is not found the project dependencies
 at org.codehaus.mojo.aspectj.AbstractAjcCompiler.addModulesArgument(AbstractAjcCompiler.java:667)
 at org.codehaus.mojo.aspectj.AbstractAjcCompiler.assembleArguments(AbstractAjcCompiler.java:583)
 at org.codehaus.mojo.aspectj.AbstractAjcCompiler.execute(AbstractAjcCompiler.java:489)
 at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:134)
 at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:207)
 ... 20 more

I've been able to determine the issue.

We are using the aspectLibraries part of the aspectj-maven-plugin with something like this:

<plugin>
<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
<artifactId>aspectj-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<dependencies>
... lost of stuff here ...
</dependencies>
<executions>
<execution>
<goals>
<goal>compile</goal>
<goal>test-compile</goal>
</goals>
</execution>
</executions>
<configuration>
<outxml>true</outxml>
<aspectLibraries>
<aspectLibrary>
<groupId>veeva.ecm.common</groupId>
<artifactId>solr-aspects</artifactId>
</aspectLibrary>
<aspectLibrary>
</plugin>

Notice that there is an aspectLibrary declared there.  As per the aspectj-maven-plugin documentation (http://www.mojohaus.org/aspectj-maven-plugin/examples/libraryJars.html) that aspect must also be included in the normal POM dependencies.

However, when the clover-maven-plugin runs, while the dependencies are resolving, it under the hood adds an extra maven classifier (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20909634/what-is-the-purpose-of-classifier-tag-in-maven) tag on in the dependencies section.  So the aspectLibrary and the dependency no longer match and the compile fails.

If I change the aspectLibrary to be 

<aspectLibrary>
<groupId>veeva.ecm.common</groupId>
<artifactId>solr-aspects</artifactId>
<classifier>clover</classifier>
</aspectLibrary>

then compile succeeds.  But then the regular compile fails.

Is there a recommended approach to dealing with this?  I'm thinking about adding a new maven profile just for running clover.  But I'm wondering if there is a better approach that is less invasive.

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Nathan,

I assume that you are using the 'clover:instrument' goal to run Clover, am I correct? 

The 'clover:instrument' goal forks a parallel build life cycle and adds the 'clover' classifier to all Maven artifacts generated. Could you please try to use the 'clover:setup' goal instead? This goal will also instrument code and at the same time will not add 'clover' classifier and will not fork a build life cycle. 

Keep in mind to not run 'clover:setup' with the 'install' or 'deploy' phases (unless you want to install instrumented JARs in ~/.m2 directory or to deploy them to your Maven repository). We usually recommend to run Clover with "test" or "verify".

Cheers
Marek

Hi Marek,

Unfortunately not, we are already using clover:setup.  Here is the current command I'm using:

mvn clover:setup clover:optimize test clover:snapshot

Regards,

Nathan

Could you please create a support ticket on support.atlassian.com, run your build with debug logging (mvn -X) and attach build log produced? Could you attach pom.xml as well (the one which contains configuration of aspectj-maven-plugin and clover-maven-plugin)? I'd like to investigate it further. 

For sure.  Let me also see if I can put together a little sample project that reproduces the issue.

I have created a service issue (CLV-6357) and attached a stripped down sample project and maven debug output.

0 votes

After analysis it turned out that Clover unnecessarily adds the "clover" classifier for some artifacts. In a normal build it works fine, but it fails with the aspectj-maven-plugin, which can have an artifact dependency declared the <aspectLibrary> tag.

Bug is reported here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOV-1966.

In order to workaround this, set the following option for clover-maven-plugin:

&lt;cloveredArtifactExpiryInMillis&gt;-1&lt;/cloveredArtifactExpiryInMillis&gt;

This will trick Clover to see all artifacts with the "clover" classifier as outdated and Clover will not add them to a list of dependencies.

Clover prints a warning in such case:

[WARNING] Using [&lt;artifact&gt;], built on &lt;date&gt; even though a Clovered version exists but it's older (lastModified: &lt;date&gt; ) and could fail the build. Please consider running Clover again on that dependency's project.

but it can be ignored as long as the "clover:setup" is used and not "clover:instrument" (the latter one usually needs "clover" artifacts).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Ops

Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #1: Announcing our next feature and a new integration

Thanks for signing up for Jira Ops! I’m Matt Ryall, leader for the Jira Ops product team at Atlassian. Since this is a brand new product, we’ll be delivering improvements quickly and sharing updates...

394 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you