Looking for help writing Listeners

JT December 6, 2018

Hi Boston,

I have a need to update linked issues when an issue is updated. I am looking for help writing a listener that will update the linked issues when the original issue is updated/edited. 

I considered doing this via a transition, but there are several fields that need to be updated and I could not find a plugin that would update multiple fields and work in JIRA Cloud. Given my particular use case, I am open to suggestions as to the best way to do this. 

Here is what I have:

JIRA Cloud

Script Runer for JIRA Cloud

JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions fro JIRA Cloud

Issue Hierarchy:

Initiative

Epic

Story

In Project A, a Story is created - ABC-1. When that Story transitions to In Progress, a new Initiative is created in Project B - BDF-2. The "relationship" between these two issues is "relates to".

When the Initiative - BDF-2 in Project B, is transitioned to To Do, an Epic is created in Project C - CGH-3. The "relationship" between these two issues is "Parent Link" (from JIRA Portfolio).

When the Epic - CGH-3 in Project C, is transitioned to To Do, 5 Stories are created in Project C. The "relationship between the Epic and Stores is the "Epic Link"

As each of these issues are created, the Initiative, the Epic, and the Stories, all the fields from the original Story in Project A are copied to each issue. Each Project represents a different team, each with their own work that needs to be completed and there own Acceptance Criteria.

Here's the fun part: If the original issue - ABC-1 in Project A - is in the status In Progress or Done, and the issue is edited/updated, that update needs to push to the Initiative BDF-2 in Project B, the Epic CGH-3 in Project C, and all 5 Stories in Project C. 

Any help would creating the scripts for the Listeners be greatly appreciated. 

In addition, if there is a better way of doing this, we are open to suggestions. Along with the Listeners, we are looking at workflow transitions and post functions. The "hold back" on this process is the number of fields that need to be updated. I have not found a plugin that allows for multiple field updates and works in JIRA Cloud. There are 10+ fields that may be updated.

Jeanne

1 comment

Comment

Sivakumar Natarajan December 7, 2018

Hi,

Did you try "Create-on transition" Plugin?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/697735/create-on-transition-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

With this plug in you can do your requirement in configuration.

Thanks

Siva

JT December 10, 2018

Siva,

Thank you for the response. Create-on-transition can only be loaded in JIRA Server. We are JIRA Cloud, which is why I am limited to Scriptrunner for JIRA Cloud and JMWE for JIRA Cloud.

Jeanne

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events