branch level permissions

James Ching December 12, 2012

I'm testing the branch level permissions in Stash 2.0 but I must be missing something... I'm having trouble getting it to work, here's the setup:

Security Setup for 'testuser'

- Project Level Permissions: Observer

- Repository Branch Level Security: Write (Just to the available branch options, I tried the advanced as well with no luck)

Everytime I try to push the branch, i get:

fatal: remote error: Insufficient permissions

You do not have permission to push to the repository test in project

fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

The 'testuser' can only write to the repository if I set it to Contributor at Project Level but then it can write to all branches. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
Thanks for any hints!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jhinch (Atlassian)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2012

Just to clarify branch permissions doesn't elevate the project level permissions it is more of a restriction. When you push changes to a repository first the project level permission is checked. This is the same as it was in Stash 1.x meaning the user must be a contributor (have write access) to the project in order for their push to proceed. Stash then checks the branch permissions for each branch which is being updated. If a restriction exists and the user doesn't have permission the push is rejected. If there is no restriction or they have permission the push is successful.

0 votes
bswift February 6, 2013

Hey Jason,

I posted this today:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/134904/stash-security-bug-branch-permissions

It appears that your comment about branch level permissions being more restrictive is not functioning for us in Stash 2.0.

0 votes
Ulrich Kuhnhardt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

Assuming the contributor that does not have push access to master but has push access to contrib then the contributor should make sure to only work, commit and push on branch contrib

0 votes
James Ching December 12, 2012

Ah sorry, after some testing, ALL users need to be setup with contributor access and you have to assign permissions to the master branch (cannot leave blank).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events