Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong display name in commits

vitor.cerqueira February 19, 2020

The wrong name is displayed in my commits and pull requests on bitbucket. I have changed the name to my correct name on every place I could get my hands on. My local machine git config is setup correctly to my real name. So are my atlassian account, profile and even Google account display names. But seemingly since a few days ago (might have been yesterday) my commits and pull requests in my company's projects show up as my old nickname on Google. Will changing these take a while to update on the servers, or is that something I can't change?

For clarification, here is a screenshot of what I mean.Screenshot from 2020-02-19 15-39-25.pngThe Name field is the incorrect one, and I wish for the one listed under Username to show up. Changing my name on the Atlassian account settings seemingly does nothing.

1 answer

3 votes
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2020

Hello @vitor.cerqueira,

Welcome to the Community!

Bitbucket uses commit author email to find matching Bitbucket user. Do you have multiple accounts in Bitbucket? Please check that your local Git client configuration uses the email your Bitbucket account is linked to.

Hope I understood your question right.

Cheers,
Daniil

vitor.cerqueira February 20, 2020

Hello @Daniil Penkin , I have two email addresses bound to my Atlassian account, my personal Google account and my work account. As I was already utilizing Bitbucket with my personal account, that's the one I'm using to make the commits still, and that is also the one my local Git client is linked to.

My personal Gmail account had that nickname on it when I created the Atlassian account, but strangely enough, didn't show as that name until this week. I have since changed even that to my proper name in hopes it would also change the display name here on Bitbucket, but it doesn't seem to have worked. 

Is it possible that the Atlassian platform took a "snapshot" of my account name from Google and now it's set internally as that, even though the original account name changed? This is slightly annoying, as I have all my settings to appear as my real name, since this is an account I am utilizing for work.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events