Unale to setup bitbucket server with Postgres

MARTIN Régis June 9, 2020

Hi,

I am trying to setup Bitbucket with PostGres.

Unfortunately, I have a connection error at the beginning

"""

The configuration entered is not valid. A database connection could not be established. Please check your configuration and try again.
	com.atlassian.stash.internal.db.DefaultDatabaseManager.validateConfiguration(DefaultDatabaseManager.java:217)
	com.atlassian.stash.internal.db.DefaultDatabaseManager.prepareDatabase(DefaultDatabaseManager.java:183)
	com.atlassian.stash.internal.maintenance.SpringMaintenanceTaskFactory.setupTask(SpringMaintenanceTaskFactory.java:151)
Failed to obtain JDBC Connection; nested exception is org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection to 192.168.1.29:5432 refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.
	org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DataSourceUtils.getConnection(DataSourceUtils.java:82)
	com.atlassian.stash.internal.db.DefaultDatabaseValidator.validate(DefaultDatabaseValidator.java:43)
	com.atlassian.stash.internal.db.DefaultDatabaseManager.validateConfiguration(DefaultDatabaseManager.java:214)
Connection to 192.168.1.29:5432 refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.
	org.postgresql.Driver$ConnectThread.getResult(Driver.java:405)
	org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:263)
	java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:664)
"""

I am installing Bitbucket Server (7.3) (via Docker) under MacOs.
I have followed the step for PostGres installation. PostGres is fine (I can manage it with pgAdmin)
I am new to PostGres and Docker.
Thanks for your help

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2020

Hi @MARTIN Régis , 

the error is because of connectivity issues to your database : 

Connection to 192.168.1.29:5432 refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.

There is probably a setting to change in pg_hba.conf as explained here in the paragraph Create the Bitbucket Server database : https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/connecting-bitbucket-server-to-postgresql-776640389.html

This specific KB explains what to do : https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserverkb/bitbucket-is-unable-to-connect-to-postgresql-due-to-unconfigured-pg_hba-conf-file-969533185.html

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

MARTIN Régis June 9, 2020

Thanks for your help.

It is indeed, a connectivity issue, which is solved by using host.docker.internal a hostname.

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24319662/from-inside-of-a-docker-container-how-do-i-connect-to-the-localhost-of-the-mach 

Like Joe likes this
Jörgen Karlsson June 29, 2022

To setup connection to database n my case the pg_hba.conf file contained this row:

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          ident

which I had to change to:

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
Like Joe likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events