Unable to create group with the rest api function when using "administrator" personal access token

Ling Shih Chih October 1, 2020

Currently I am writing a script to test the Rest API functions of BitBucket. Using the administrator personal access token, I was able to use most of the Rest API functions, such as creating projects, repository. The administrator account also has "system admin" set in the global permission.

However, when I try to use the create group API function (http://hostname:7990/rest/api/1.0/admin/groups?name=testcreategroup) , it will result in error code : 401.

[errors:[
[context: null,
message: You are not permitted to access this resource, exceptionName:com.atlassian.bitbucket.AuthorisationException]
]
]

When I test using curl in the command line, using the administrator token will result in the same error. However if I use username and password instead (-u admin:password), the command will be successfully executed and the group created. 

Would like to clarify if this is an issue/bug, or is this an expected behavior from using personal access token for group creation? or am I actually missing out some permission setting for the administrator account/token? 

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Jesse Mcconathy September 14, 2022

Bumping this as I am experiencing the same issue but with deleting groups.

I have been unable to find a way to generate a token that has permission to do this.

0 votes
Nikil Paul March 15, 2022

Was this resolved? I'm facing a similar issue as well. I'm able to hit the admin/groups on my bitbucket server api endpoint using the personal access token I've created for my admin account, but I'm not able to hit admin/permissions/groups (I get the same error message that Ling has posted). I have no troubles when I use my username and password for authentication though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events