Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Repo Size GC Help

Good morning,

I've crossed into the "warning zone" of repo size at just over 2GB. I've been running garbage collection, deleting history, and removing large files locally but have been unable to reduce the repository size below this threshold. Would it be possible for someone to run garbage collection for me and see if that reduces the repository size?

Thanks so much,

Chris

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Chris,

I see two repositories that have a size of around 2 GB (from the ones you have access to):

• The first one belongs to the workspace associated with your Bitbucket account.
  • The second one belongs to another workspace you are an admin of.

I ran a git gc for both of them and their size has been reduced. Can you see the updated size now in Repository settings?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Thank you so much, Theodora. This is all set and the ticket can be closed. Appreciate the help!

Hi Chris,

You are very welcome, I'm glad to have helped!

I also wanted to let you know that we have a feature request to allow users to run a git gc for their remote repos:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-11593

You can add your vote to that feature request and also add yourself as a watcher if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Robert Wen Community Leader Jun 10, 2022

Hello, @Chris Campion ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I'm going to escalate so someone from Atlassian will read this.  Be prepared with the repository URL. You can add as a reply showing only the last few characters.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,237 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you