Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote branch prefix is being changed to uppercase

prgriffiths September 6, 2019

Hi, 

Somehow whenever a local branch (which is created all lowercase) is pushed up to the remote the prefix of the branch is changed to use an uppercase. For example if i create any of the following locally 

• release/release-example
  • bugfix/bugfix-example
  • feature/feature-example

when they are pushed to the remote they end up being (notice the capitalisation of the prefix - highlighted bold)

• Release/release-example
  • Bugfix/bugfix-example
  • Feature/feature-example

When completing more work on the local branch this is causing issues when pushing it up because of the casing differences.  I thought this may have something to do with the branching types but they are all set to lower case.

Here is a visual example

Website.png2019-09-06 10_52_58-bugfix.png

How can i prevent the remote changing the prefix to uppercase please?

TIA

Paul

1 answer

0 votes
Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2019

I need a little more information before I try to answer this:

1.  Are you on Bitbucket Cloud or Bitbucket Server?

2.  If you are on Bitbucket Server, what kind of machine is Bitbucket Server itself running on?  (Is it by any chance running on Windows e.g., Windows Server or even Windows 10?)

3.  What kind of machine are you on?  (Linux, or mac, or Windows?)

Current theory:  You are on Bitbucket Server running on Windows, and a long time ago someone pushed up some "Feature" and "Bugfix" branches.  Because windows is essentially case-insensitive, it doesn't care if you "git pull" them as "feature" or "bugfix" but when you push back up it coalesces your pushes back into the existing branches because of its case-insensitivity.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events