Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PR notification emails not received?

Ray Depew December 14, 2021

We're moving from a local Bitbucket/Stash server to Bitbucket Cloud. I'm testing BB Cloud's email notifications capability today, and not having any luck. 

I followed the steps in the Tutorial to create a branch, commit a change to the branch, and generate a Pull Request. I sent the Pull Request to two colleagues. They're listed as members/users in our BB account, and in fact, they have R/W access to the repository in question.

They did not receive the notification emails. I can't check the email logs to find out why. Got any ideas? 

Here's the link to the PR: https://bitbucket.org/autosoln/sandboxrepo/pull-requests/20 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2021

Hi Ray,

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community! I'm Norbert from Bitbucket Cloud Support, it's nice to meet you! 

When I checked the logs internally I couldn't see that any of your colleague under the "autosoln" Workspace would be on our block/bouncelist. I suspect your colleagues don't have the notifications enabled.

Can I ask you to tell your colleagues to follow these steps and let me know if they had the notifications enabled?

1. Open the repository
2. Click on the triple dot -> Manage Notifications

a1.png

Once they're at that window, can you let me know if they had the notifications enabled?

I'm looking forward to hear from you, Ray.

Have a great day ahead!

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Ray Depew December 15, 2021

Hi Norbert,

I'll ask them to do that. While I'm waiting for their response, here's what my "Manage notifications" looks like:

2021-12-15 08_07_32-Window.png

Here is the response from two of my colleagues:

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

Ray Depew December 15, 2021

Since we're on a 24-hour question-and-response cycle, I jumped the gun and asked my colleagues to select "Watch this repository" and "Pull requests". Then I sent them another PR. Nothing in their Inboxes yet. Can you check the email log again?

Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2021

Hi Ray,

Please excuse me for the late reply, I was out of office Thursday and Friday.

Can you let me know the first name of your colleagues who have enabled the notifications for Pull Requests and haven't received a notification email?

When I picked a few colleagues randomly from your repository, I was able to find it out that Humberto S, John L and Cody P have received emails from Bitbucket Cloud side, unfortunately I'm not able to tell exactly what emails they've received.

Please let me know.

Best Regards,

Norbert

Ray Depew December 20, 2021

Hi Norbert, 

No worries. Thanks for your reply, and for the details from the logs. John L tells me that he has received some PR notifications. I will reach out to Humberto S and Cody P.

Our email server (an Outlook 365 server) informed me this morning that it had quarantined several emails from the following addresses, as possible phishing emails. Therefore, our IT department is going to whitelist those email addresses.

• pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org
  • commits-reply@bitbucket.org

What other email addresses should we whitelist, so they're not quarantined or rejected? I'm thinking of something like:

• pullrequests@bitbucket.org
  • build-results@bitbucket.org

(I just made those up. Don't know if they're real.) A full list would be appreciated. I will forward it to our IT team, and they will add the addresses to the whitelist.

By the way, our developers give high marks to the "opt-in" paradigm built into the "Manage notifications" menu. I thought they would prefer that the notifications be turned on by default, but they actually prefer the opposite: disabled by default, and manually enabled as needed.

More follow-up to your question 

Can you let me know the first name of your colleagues who have enabled the notifications for Pull Requests and haven't received a notification email?

Humberto started receiving emails this morning, but nothing on Friday or over the weekend. Cody P and a third colleague, Edgar, have not received anything. All three of them have noticed messages from pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org and commit-reply@bitbucket.org ending up in quarantine jail.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
December 22, 2021

Hi @Ray Depew,

Please allow me to step in as Norbert is out of office.

I checked our email logs for emails sent to the 3 developers you mentioned, and I can see that Bitbucket Cloud emails have been sent to their respective email addresses and all of them show to have been delivered to your email server.

In the documentation below you can see the IPs we use to send notifications and whitelist these ranges:

Is this something that works for you or do you need specific email addresses to whitelist?

We use the following email addresses for Bitbucket Cloud notifications:

notifications-noreply@bitbucket.org
pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org
commits-reply@bitbucket.org
noreply@bitbucket.org
issues-reply@bitbucket.org

I am not sure if it's an exhaustive list, but I'll check with my team and I'll let you know if we use additional ones.

It's good to hear that your developers like the opt-in mechanism of notifications!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Ray Depew December 22, 2021

Hi Theodora,

Thank you for stepping in. I forwarded the IP address ranges and the email addresses to our IT team. They are also out of the office. 'Tis the season. 

Thank you for your help. I will post a follow-up reply next week.

Regards
Ray

Norbert C
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2022

Hi Ray,

I hope you're doing well.

Please let us know whether the emails are getting received by your colleagues side or not.

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Norbert

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events