Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any issue with installing Bitbucket Data Center in only one node?

Baztheman February 4, 2022

Hi,

I have a customer who does not want to go to Bitbucket Cloud. He does not want the code to be stored in the cloud and mentioned the option of installing Bitbucket Data Center in a single node.

I read the documentation that Bitbucket Data Center is mainly for 500+ users and across multiple nodes. If I do not need high availability and disaster recovery then i can install it in one node without setting up a cluster.

Is there any issue with doing this? Does it seem to be overkill if Data Center is for 500+ users? There must be reasons why we should not do it right? Can you tell me pros and cons for doing this?

Thank you.

B.

2 answers

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2022

Hi @Baztheman 

Pros:

• You can manage the application in one node if the number of users using the application is less
  • Quickly get over the maintenance activities
  • Integrations, cluster maintenance activities will be easy

Cons:

• If the one node where you are running Bitbucket goes down, your server will go down
  • Restoring the server will take time in time in case of downtime

You can go with one node provided necessary resources are allocated and you are sure about the server will be up all the time

The benefit of at least two nodes is that if you are having maintenance activities, you will have one node running

Let me know if you have any queries

Thanks,
Pramodh

Baztheman February 5, 2022

Looks like there is no issue with running a one node bitbucket data center. How is the operation with bitbucket data center compare to bitbucket server? Lots of difference?

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2022

@Baztheman

Elasticsearch, Database, NFS Server should be running on separate nodes and should be connected. (NFS Server is optional)

Baztheman February 5, 2022

Thanks for the quick reply. So, basically, there is nothing wrong to run Bitbucket Data Center on a single node right?

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2022

That is correct. If you're running DC on just a single node, there's nothing wrong with installing Elasticsearch on the same machine too. 

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

1 vote
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2022

Hi @Baztheman ,

Atlassian supports installing the Data Center Version on a single node and it works without problems. 

Bitbucket licenses also starts at lower user tiers with 25 users, so that this should be no problem also.

Bitbucket DC has features, like the ability to use multiple nodes, that are useful for high user tiers, but there are no problems oder reasons to use it only with some users.

But it is probably more expensive then using the cloud, as you have the license, hosting and operations.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events