Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I request to run the garbage collection on my repositories?

FT September 14, 2021

Hi,

I cleaned two of my repositories with the BFG tool. They are named "sphincs_repository_ft" and "lorene".

How can I request to run the garbage collection on them?

Thank you for your help,

Francesco

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2021

Hi, @Francesco Torsello! Welcome to the community! 

I ran the GC against your repositories as requested to remove the dangling commits.

To give you some context around the git GC process, Bitbucket triggers a garbage collection on the repository after each push, however aggressive GC is triggered by GIT once the unreachable/dangling objects become older than 30 days.

For this reason, there is no need for us to trigger a manual GC for your repository. However, we are happy to run it for you if you feel there is a need. 

We already have a feature request to allow users to mark repositories for git GC, as you can check here:

Please consider adding yourself as a watcher to receive the updates as we make progress with this. If you are not familiar with our Feature Request Policy, you can read more about it here.

Feel free to share any additional questions or concerns regarding this case.

Kind regards,
Caroline

FT September 15, 2021

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for running the GC against my repositories, and for the useful info! I added myself as a watcher as you suggested.

I wasn't satisfied with the sizes of my repositories yet, so I cleaned them up more with the BFG tool. Locally, their present sizes are roughly 1.5MB and 13MB. Since I need them to be cleaned up on Bitbucket as soon as possible, I have to kindly ask you if you can run the GC again.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Best regards,

Francesco

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2021

Hi, Francesco! 

I'm glad to help you! :) I ran the GC again and managed to reduce the size of these repositories to 1.5MB and 13MB. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

FT September 15, 2021

Hi Caroline,

Thank you! 

Best regards,

Francesco

Like Caroline R likes this
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
September 16, 2021

You are welcome, Francesco! 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events