Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Turn Off Prepopulated Destination Branch?

Steven Varndell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 22, 2024

When creating a PR Bitbucket tries to guess what destination branch you want to merge to, and it prepopulates the field. It's almost always wrong.  Can this prepopulation be turned off? It's just asking for a branch to be merged somewhere it doesn't belong

2 answers

0 votes
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2024

Hello @Steven Varndell ,

Just adding to @Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_ , while there's not currently an option to turn the branch pre-population in the UI, the way that Bitbucket selects the target branch is based on the branching model configured in the repository or project level: 

By default the Production and Development branches are set to the main branch of the repository. You can change those to specific branches according to your workflow.

The configured Production branch is the default target branch for pull requests from release branches.

As for the branch configured as Development branch, it will be the default target for feature branches.

I hope that information helps! Let us know in case you have any questions.

Thank you, @Steven Varndell !

Patrik S

0 votes
Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 23, 2024

I come across the same problem quite frequently. I don't know a way to turn this off in the UI.

When creating a PR you can use the link that you see when you push the source branch to bitbucket.org (remote) via the git CLI, and add the destination branch as a req param. For example

https://bitbucket.org/<your_workspace>/<your_repo>/pull-requests/new?source=feature/XYZ-123&t=1&dest=develop

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events