Enable SAML

Irfan Hussain March 21, 2016

Hi Team,

We want to configure single sign on for Bitbucket using Azure Active Directory. And for that we required SAML features in Bitbucket. So please tell me how can we enable SAML features in Bitbucket or there is any other way to configure sso on azure active directory. Please let me know the same.

Regards,

Irfan

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
evzijst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2016

This is currently not possible. Bitbucket Cloud maintains its own user database and does not support logging in through Azure.

Note that we're in the middle of integrating Bitbucket with Atlassian accounts, which delegates signup and logging to Atlassian's central user management system. In the future Atlassian account is expected to support SAML and external SAML providers, which should cover your needs.

6 votes
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2017

Update (June 8th, 2018):

Please read the pinned comment on this topic's public issue for the latest status regarding SAML and Bitbucket.

Update:

SAML is now in public beta for Atlassian Cloud. Customers with JIRA/Confluence Cloud who have enabled SAML via site admin will be able to log in to Bitbucket Cloud using SAML within the next few months (likely April). That is when we will move Bitbucket over to the Atlassian account login form, which supports SAML.

SAML for Bitbucket-only customers is not on the roadmap for the immediate future, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Alastair

Andrew Collins June 29, 2017

Hi, Do you have a date when bitbucket and hipchat will be added to the SAML product list? I can't find if this have been released to the public yet.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/saml-single-sign-on-873871238.html

This is not in the correct forum but do you know if Atlassian is working on user provisioning using SCIM through Azure AD. This works perfectly for apps like workplace and slack.

Bridgit Amstrup July 6, 2017

I would like to know this as well. 

ita_jroney July 14, 2017

Hi Alastair,

You mentioned SAML authentication for Bitbucket may be a possibility in April for customers with JIRA/Confluence Cloud. Is this available now? (I can login to Bitbucket Cloud with my Atlassian Account credentials, but it doesn't appear to be the Atlassian Account login screen used for Jira)

If this is still in progress, any update on the timeline?

Thanks!

David Honig July 23, 2017

Hi there,

will there be a possibility to use it if we use only bitbucket, without Confluence cloud? We do have Jira on-premise, but we do not want to migrate Bitbucket cloud to on premise.

Azure AD is the easiest for us, ADFS 2/3 is also possible.

Thanks

David

Andy Wong December 4, 2017

Hi Alastair,

I have the same question as Joe Roney.

Can you please give us an indication when will BitBucket Cloud allow SAML authentication either on its own or via JIRA/Confluence Cloud?

Your original post mentioned April 2017 but I cannot see it is available yet?!

Can you please confirm and tell us a timeline?

kind regards

-andy

Igor Kovacevic January 11, 2018

I have Confluence/JIRA Cloud and SAML enabled there. Still, I don't see possibility to use SAML on bitbucket.

Is this available now or still pending feature?

Like Naseem Ahmed likes this
Matt Seaborn February 27, 2018

This feature is a major omission from the Bitbucket's offering, especially when it is offered from competitors like GitHub Cloud.

https://help.github.com/articles/about-authentication-with-saml-single-sign-on/

Who also maintain their own user database.

Like cbugneac likes this
1 vote
Aleks Yenin (Polontech)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016
0 votes
Prakhar Srivastav August 18, 2016

Hi All,

Please check my article on this. It might help you as I have tried to provide a complete solution.

http://thetechrecipes.com/index.php/2016/08/11/saml-integration-with-jira-and-other-java-web-app/

Regards

Prakhar

0 votes
Paul Spain May 18, 2016

Erik, 

You say: "In the future Atlassian account is expected to support SAML and external SAML providers, which should cover your needs"

Can you provide any (ballpark) dates for when this may occur? Is this feature on a product roadmap?

The lack of SAML support for your cloud offerings is a deal-breaker for our organisation (500 users).

Jonathan G
Atlassian Team
June 13, 2016

Whilst I cannot provide a date (as we don't know one), I can say that we are currently working on this. It's not a simple task given the disparity of products we have, but it's a high priority for many customers. You may begin seeing changes happening to login systems (such as the recent switch to Atlassian account for Bitbucket) which are indicative of progress towards this goal.

laszlo September 30, 2017

Any updated on this?

We are implementing SSO across our organisation and now seriously considering to move to Github for the lack of SAML support in BB Cloud.

0 votes
Irfan Hussain March 22, 2016

Thanks Arik for your reply.

As per you said, In the future Atlassian will support SAML. So just for the update, could we know means how long it will take or any deadline for this project. so we can look other options for the same.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events