Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elastisearch Not Starting

Mark August 16, 2019

Integrated Elastisearch 6.5.3 bundled with Bitbucket 6.4.2 is not starting. (Win 10 OS)

• Have re-installed and problem persists. error thrown is "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."
  • Have already updated GIT as well as Java, tried redirecting jvm and classpath to valid locations as well as editing the Java options. no deal.
  • The event occurred randomly, as everything was up and running until there was a windows update that seems to be when everything borked. 

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2019

Hello Mark and welcome to the Community!

Thanks for sharing what you’re seeing with Elasticsearch and what happened up to this point. I would like to focus a bit on the OS update which was applied.  Could you please verify your JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME variables within your Windows 10 system? We want to ensure that the update did not clear out your JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME variables which could be the cause of Elasticsearch not being able to start. 

Steps for setting the JAVA_HOME variable:

1. Right click on the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop and select 'Properties'.
  2. Click the 'Advanced' tab.
  3. Click the 'Environment Variables' button.
  4. Click 'New'.
  5. In the 'Variable name' field, enter 'JAVA_HOME'.
  6. In the 'Variable value' field, enter the directory (including its full path) where you installed the JDK.
  7. Restart the computer.

An alternative would be to rollback the applied windows update (or do a system state restore) and see if the application starts to function properly again.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Mark August 21, 2019

Thank Stephen!

I appreciate the welcome, and your time on this.

Of note, the machine didn't have either (JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME) when the app was installed. I added JAVA_HOME during my troubleshooting but it didn't resolve the problem.

Best,
Mark

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2019

Hello Mark,

Thanks for following up on the JAVA_HOME. Could you please let us know how you're attempting to start Elasticsearch within Bitbucket?

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events