Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we backup the home directory for all nodes in bitbucket data center?

HN October 25, 2017

I'm reading through the instructions which says  the following about the shared home directory:

On each cluster node, mount the shared home directory as ${BITBUCKET_HOME}/shared. Note that only the ${BITBUCKET_HOME}/shared directory should be shared between cluster nodes.  All other directories, including ${BITBUCKET_HOME}, should be node-local (that is, private to each node).  

That makes sense. When I then look at the backup script show here the example shows:

# The path to the Bitbucket home directory (with trailing /)
BITBUCKET_HOME=/var/atlassian/application-data/bitbucket/

In the instruction here it says:

Once your bitbucket.diy-backup.vars.sh is correctly configured, SSH to the instance (or the appropriate node in a Data Center instance, typically the file server) and run the backup script from the atlassian-bitbucket-diy-backup directory.

Base on the fact that the script is configured to backup the home (not just the shared) directory, it would imply that I need to run this across all nodes; is this correct? I'm running into trouble understanding this because it also performs a database backup and restores via the same vars.

1 answer

0 votes
Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2017

Hi Haani,

The short answer is that the backup only needs to be triggered from one node. All required data will be included in the backup and collected from that node in the cluster.

Here some more details.

Even if the configuration of the backup requires the path to the Bitbucket Home directory (BITBUCKET_HOME), this does not imply that all the data in the Home directory will be backed up.

The scripts performing the Home directory backup (this is the rsync one as example) contain a set of exclusion rules to only include what is required for the backup.

Cheers,

Caterina

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events