Cannot find (empty) GIT branch created via bitbucket

In my existing GIT repository hosted by bitbucket.org, when I create a new branch via bitbucket I cannot find it later.

Having created a feature branch, I can fetch the branch and commit to it and push up changes successfully, that is not my question.

My question is, PRIOR to commiting any changesets to this branch, how can I see and administer this branch from bitbucket.org?  There is no sign of this branch from the "branches" page.

It seems that I have to commit and push at least one changeset before bitbucket will admit that this branch exists.

What I've begun doing is bookmarking the URL of the landing page after creating a new branch (e.g. https://bitbucket.org/my-team/my-project/branch/feature/my-feature ).  Using this bookmarked URL I can get back to a place where I can see the branch, and delete the branch if needed.

1 answer

0 vote
Lucas Moura Atlassian Team Jul 26, 2017

Hello Brian,

Using BitBucket, if you go to your repository and then click on Branches you`ll be able to see two filters like the image below. Just click on each filter to see what branch are nested on each filter.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 3.03.11 PM.png 

The filter "Active" shows you the branches that are ahead of the main branch.

The filter "Merged" shows you the branches that are not ahead of the main branch.

Usually, when we just create the branch and did not make any changes, it will appear under the "Merged" filter.

Plus, I believe that this documentation may help you.

Regards,

Lucas

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 06, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use Bitbucket Cloud and Jira Cloud? If so, let us know!

Hi Community, I'm Julia and I'm on the Jira Software Cloud marketing team!  We're looking for companies or teams using Bitbucket Cloud and Jira Software Cloud. If your team fits the t...

155 views 6 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you