Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see a comparison between PS1 files stored in stash, but can see the source

spence leighton September 5, 2012

We are evaluating Stash and tried storing some PowerShell script files in a repository. When browsing the repository, you can view the PS1 file but Stash won't show the differences between commits of that file. Anybody run into this or is there a fix out there in the works? ()

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
seb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2012

It is likely that your files are not "simple" text files, where they may be UTF16LE for example. Try diff them using the git client directly.

1 vote
Justin Johnson September 24, 2012

If you create PS1 files using the PowerShell ISE it saves the files in UTF-16 encoding. This causes problems for Subversion as well. Search for utf-16 at http://serverfault.com/questions/2071/hidden-features-of-powershell for a work around.

0 votes
spence leighton September 6, 2012

Well, I don't have enough Karma to upload screen shots but I can say that after doing some more research the files are not strictly text files as Git GUI can't display the differences between them saying that they are binary files.

The file contents do show in the file source view in Stash but when I click Diff to Previous it says the files cannot be rendered in your browser.

I had originally thought the files were just text but it seems the tool used to create them stores more than just text. Still, it is odd that I can see the contents in one view but not in another.

The files were created with Sapien Technologies PrimalScript and came from another department so I don't have access to the tools themselves.

Thanks.

0 votes
seb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2012

Are you able to provide more thorough instructions on how to reproduce this issue, or can you attach some screenshots?

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events