Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I link Bitbucket Cloud Tags to Jira Cloud Versions

Kathy Guajardo December 20, 2017

When I make a software release in Bitbucket I put a tag on the commit.  I know I can link a commit to a Jira issue if I include the Jira issue code in my Bitbucket commit.  My question is can I link a Bitbucket tag for a release to my Versions in a Jira project?

2 answers

3 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2017

Hi Kathy, I'm afraid that's not possible, you can only link Jira issues and Bitbucket commits.

However, there are other actions you can do. For example, it is possible to transition a Jira issue to the next step in the workflow by entering a certain line in a Bitbucket commit. To learn more about this, you can read Processing Jira Software issues with Smart Commit messages.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Best regards,

Ana

Jan Wilson August 14, 2019

Ana, thanks for the feedback on this.

As your answer was a while ago, could you advise whether this feature this is now available or is up for future consideration?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2019

Hi Jan,

As far as I know, this feature is still not available. I've checked the issue tracker and seems like none of the users had logged it there, so there's no information whether this feature will ever be implemented. If you're interested in this, please go ahead and submit this request via our portal. It often helps to add some example of how this could benefit your work, so the developers understand the importance of the feature. 

Hope that helps!

Ana

avr-ti November 26, 2019

Hi Jan, 

Very sad as this seems to be a useful link into bitbucket. Any alternatives? 

Thanks

Gerold 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Tim Black December 8, 2020

Yes, it'd be nice if this feature was part of the Jira-Bitbucket integration "out-of-the-box", but I'm guessing Atlassian will never implement this since this functionality has no feature request and is entirely possible, and not very hard, to implement using these products' REST APIs. Releases are typically made only after a vetting process. These days it is standard protocol for this process to be implemented in a CI system which builds and tests your product on SCM events (pushing a commit or tag). 

So, I would propose the following solution (which is just one of many possible approaches) to your problem:

1. Configure your CI system to build tags, and to be cognizant of when the build was initiated by a release tag. (Should be able to set up a release tag convention and set up your CI system, e.g. Jenkins git plugin, to filter on specific tag regex.)
  2. Modify your CI pipeline to inspect the build reason, and conditionally on successful build and test of release tagged builds, invoke the Jira rest API for creating and/or releasing a version (with same name as tag) in the corresponding Jira project.

After this work, your release process looks like this:

1. Create a release tag in Bitbucket repo

What if the build/test fails? The corresponding Jira version is not released, as you would want.

To handle this, I propose that you leave the pipeline logic alone (keeping it simple "is this a build of a release tagged commit?) and move the release tag to the next commit after you fix the thing that caused the release build to not pass.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events