Can Atlassian Stash be hosted from a VM?

The Stash 2.0 release notes states:

"Stash does not currently support virtualised environments." -- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Supported+platforms

Does this mean that I cannot host Stash on a VM? I don't understand the comment. What exactly is not supported as a virturalized environment. Can I host Stash using a Linux VM assuming the version of Linux is supported? Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

It could have been defined better. What is meant is that you technically can run it on a VM, but if you run into trouble it won't be supported by Atlassian Support. The reason why is because running in a virtual environment can take quite its toll in disk I/O, CPU cycles, etc. Even with the latest virtualisation techniques, this can result in to performance problems. As we cannot guarantee Stash performance in VM, it's therefore unsupported.

Dennis is correct. One reason why we don't officially support VM's is because we don't have automated tests in place for the various VM environments.

That being said, we are running Stash on a VM ourselves and it's been working just fine. The important thing is that you choose a VM with good IO throughput. If you should run into application related troubles, we will still support you, but will recommend you to move to bare metal or another VM solution if you should experience performance issues.

We will be looking at adding official support for a number of VMs in the future.

Cheers,
Jens

Hi Brian,

We've clarified the supported platforms page to hopefully be more specific about what we mean by "not supported" which is pretty much in line with what Dennis and Jens already outlined above.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Stefan

Just to let You know,

the same confusing information is here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Scaling+Stash

Regards,

Blazej

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,303 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you