Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Atlassian Stash be hosted from a VM?

Brian Jones December 6, 2012

The Stash 2.0 release notes states:

"Stash does not currently support virtualised environments." -- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Supported+platforms

Does this mean that I cannot host Stash on a VM? I don't understand the comment. What exactly is not supported as a virturalized environment. Can I host Stash using a Linux VM assuming the version of Linux is supported? Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2012

It could have been defined better. What is meant is that you technically can run it on a VM, but if you run into trouble it won't be supported by Atlassian Support. The reason why is because running in a virtual environment can take quite its toll in disk I/O, CPU cycles, etc. Even with the latest virtualisation techniques, this can result in to performance problems. As we cannot guarantee Stash performance in VM, it's therefore unsupported.

1 vote
Stefan Saasen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2012

Hi Brian,

We've clarified the supported platforms page to hopefully be more specific about what we mean by "not supported" which is pretty much in line with what Dennis and Jens already outlined above.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Stefan

1 vote
Jens Schumacher [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2012

Dennis is correct. One reason why we don't officially support VM's is because we don't have automated tests in place for the various VM environments.

That being said, we are running Stash on a VM ourselves and it's been working just fine. The important thing is that you choose a VM with good IO throughput. If you should run into application related troubles, we will still support you, but will recommend you to move to bare metal or another VM solution if you should experience performance issues.

We will be looking at adding official support for a number of VMs in the future.

Cheers,
Jens

0 votes
Blazej Chabierski January 6, 2013

Just to let You know,

the same confusing information is here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Scaling+Stash

Regards,

Blazej

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders