cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket 5.16.2 upgrade instructions

Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

Hi,

I am reading the instructions in atlassian bit-bucket upgrade and its say that needs to install new version in different folder and use the existing home directory to upgrade but in the same instruction document say users choose to upgrade existing installer while installing. Which method I needs to follow to upgrade my bit-bucket.

Do I needs to install in new folder and then configure home directory and server.xml file or choose existing installer to upgrade?

Here is the URL that I am referring for.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-server-upgrade-guide-776640551.html?_ga=2.159283642.1696069344.1551722692-1821938764.1524583118

Any help much appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2019

If I choose "Upgrade an existing Bit-bucket Instance" then I needs to choose another folder not the original installer folder ? Let me run this in a test environment. It confusing me bit. If we select new folder when I choose "Upgrade an existing Bit-bucket instance" then not seeing any difference in selecting both options. In-place upgrade is not possible so we can select either of the option. I use to install new version in difference folder and configure home directory and other ssl certificates to upgrade.

0 votes
Daniel Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2019

Hi @Omprakash Thamsetty 

Bitbucket's installer will install Bitbucket into a new folder. If you read this section of the linked documentation - 

Upgrade Bitbucket

This upgrade process does not perform an in-place upgrade, but instead installs the new version of Bitbucket Server into a new installation directory. The new instance uses your existing Bitbucket Server home directory and external database.

It states that the upgrade will install into a new folder. Just use the installer and select 'Upgrade an existing Bitbucket instance option'. I would suggest running this in a test environment first though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events