Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is convenient to create a second repo when your original repository is too big by time history?

EverAlanMarquez December 19, 2019

Hi devs, I work in a videogame project with Unity3D engine. There are 8 people working on it (modelers, animators, musicians, designers) but the commits history, has been raised, along the time with a lots of assets, a lots. Iterations to improve textures, audio, models and of course code.

I think original repo can be stored and create a second repo from the original last repo's commit.

I understand the benefits of having historial, but in the practice, old commits there are not used anymore and the repo is private for local development.

What are your experiences? thanks for your time.

1 comment

Roger Barnes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

That's a valid approach to consider based on your circumstances. You'd want to be sure everyone's finished up on any branches they have open, or have a way to cut them over also.

Alternatively you may be able to prune the commit graph to reduce its size.

Instead, or as well, I'd recommend using Git LFS for storing large files. It doesn't reduce the overall repo size in general, but it does cut down a lot on how much gets cloned and pulled. You can even use various tools to rewrite the Git history and put those large files into LFS, while preserving history.

In every case, you'll need to coordinate any such changes with your team to all cut over dev environments, tooling etc at once.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events