It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

easiest way to transfer projects and plans to another bamboo instance

I'm just starting out with bamboo.

Is there a clean / simple way to export build and deployment projects (and their constituent plans) from one bamboo instance and then import them into another bamboo server instance? 

I've seen references to Bamboo specs but it's not obvious if this is the best option.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote

It depends on complexity of your plans and scope of data you want to transfer. 

If you need only configuration - use Bamboo Specs.

If you need build results + build logs and artifacts then the only option is to use instance backup, there's no functionality to export/import project or plan.

Is configuration defined as the actual projects, plans etc. without any associated build results, logs and data?

Tim

yes. It's possible to export existing plan/deployment configuration into Java code and use this code to create plan/deployment at another Bamboo instance

0 votes
Omar Herrera Community Leader Jan 04, 2019

Hi @timothy schmidt, there is a way to export a full configuration of you actual bamboo instance to the new one.

Here the official documentation @link

If you have any question let me know.

Cheers.

Omar H.

Thank you.

When importing the backup to a new host/instance,  are there any specific items that must be manualy addressed somehow? Like the change in the new bamboo instance's base URL (new host)   or the change in it's serverID  ( BE4D-2Q5X-2GCX-RG7X ) etc.?

Tim S.

Are there any compatibility rules or matrices for this type of action?

Eg.  Can I take a 6.6 configs/plans EXPORT file and import it into a 6.7 instance if the DB versions are the same? If this action is extended to artifacts and logs too, do compat. restrictions change?

Related ... are there any tools to cross check a server's configuration AFTER an import?

It seems like the capabilities are out of whack (expected ). But, I would think there would be an admin option to "check" a servers' configuration that could catch  bad or "out of sync" server configurations, etc. 

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Bamboo

Unable to add or edit Bitbucket Cloud repository in Bamboo

On 31 May, a GDPR-related change went live in the Bitbucket Cloud API that resulted in users not being able to create or edit Bitbucket Cloud Linked repositories in Bamboo. This API update removed t...

691 views 2 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you