after deployment trigger result variables

Hi,

I need to pass a variable deployment.environmentName back to my plan but that doesn’t happen.

This is my workflow: build -> deployment to multiple environments -> after deployment trigger BuildPlan to run integration tests

On the screenshot attached to the marketplace listing I can see some deploymentResult Keys and variables?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassianlab.bamboo.plugins.bamboo-after-deployment-trigger-plugin/server/overview

How do I pass them to a triggered plan? 

Cheers

Przemyslaw

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

Hello @Przemyslaw Chudzinski [extensi],

You can retrieve the deployment.environmentName variable by calling it in a Script task as example:

echo "bamboo.deployment.environmentName" ${bamboo.deployment.environmentName}

So in your example:

build -> deployment to multiple environments -> after deployment trigger BuildPlan to run integration tests

"build", lets say PROJ-PLAN
"deployment to multiple environments", lets say QA
"after deployment trigger BuildPlan", lets say PROJ-TESTS

In PROJ-TESTS-JOB1, you could add a Script task with the above mentioned, resulting on:

build 02-Jan-2018 19:21:45 bamboo.deployment.environmentName QA

Kind regards,

Rafael

That seems to be the solution,

but now I've got a new issue with the after-deployment-trigger

Here's the scenario

1. PROJ-PLAN1

2. Deployment to QA1 and QA2

3. PROJ-PLAN2 (integration tests) using After Deployment Trigger

At this point I assume the QA1 and QA2 deployments should trigger Proj-PLAN2 twice. I use here 

bamboo.deployment.environmentName

To determine against which environment my integration tests should be executed.

What is happening?

Proj-PLAN2 is triggered once.

Sometimes by QA1 sometimes by QA2

In the trigger configuration I've selected Triggering Deployment to "Any" but also tried to create two triggers for QA1 and QA2.

Same result.

Seems like a bug to me.

What do you think?

In the logs I can see

2018-01-03 10:15:42,761 INFO [10-BAM::PlanExec:pool-17-thread-3] [ChainExecutionManagerImpl] Build Proj-PLAN2-JOB1-66 has been dispatched

Only once, and should be triggered twice.

Could you please go to Bamboo administration >> Overview >> Plans >> Concurrent builds and Enable it, setting the Default number of concurrent builds allowed to 2

Save the configuration and re-do the testing.

Bamboo's concurrent builds feature allows you to build a plan concurrently on several agents. You might find this useful if a plan is likely to be triggered again before the current build completes.

For more information -  Configuring concurrent builds

Kind regards,

Rafael

Hi @Rafael Sperafico,

Yes that helped but that seems to be very strange behaviour.

I'm looking into the plugin code and API

nonBlockingPlanExecutionService.tryToStart(plan, triggeringAction);

https://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-bamboo/6.2.3/com/atlassian/bamboo/plan/NonBlockingPlanExecutionService.html#tryToStart-com.atlassian.bamboo.trigger.Triggerable-com.atlassian.bamboo.build.BuildDetectionAction-

In other words, the method should be used for cases where build absolutely, positively needs to trigger (unless encountering internal error or hitting concurrent build limit)

I do understand now that it was hitting the concurrent build limit. But no errors or logs were printed out to the end user.

I'd expect all triggered builds to be queued.

Will this method put the execution into queue?

https://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-bamboo/6.2.3/com/atlassian/bamboo/plan/PlanExecutionManager.html#start-com.atlassian.bamboo.plan.cache.ImmutableChain-com.atlassian.bamboo.build.BuildDetectionAction-com.atlassian.bamboo.util.AcquisitionPolicy-

Thank you for raising the issue on https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/bamboo-after-deployment-trigger/issues/3/multiple-environments-not-triggering-a

And regarding to your inquire, "start" would do the job.

Kind regards,

Rafael

Just tried it start doesn't work.

@Rafael Sperafico

I've modified the plugin itself to use PlanExecutionManager instead of NonBlockingPlanExecutionService.

I just think my use case is not supported by bamboo.

I'd need an API that would enforce bamboo to queue next job regardless of the concurrent build limit.

My use case is pretty common.

Build->Multiple Deployments->Integration tests against each environment using a single Plan. 

Additionally it should be possible to push some custom variables from the deployment result to the triggered Plan.

At the moment I' have to use the default 

bamboo.deployment.environmentName

to determine which env has triggered my integration tests.

I need to pass more variables like host name for example.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Ops

Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #1: Announcing our next feature and a new integration

Thanks for signing up for Jira Ops! I’m Matt Ryall, leader for the Jira Ops product team at Atlassian. Since this is a brand new product, we’ll be delivering improvements quickly and sharing updates...

457 views 0 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you