Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why we need Child plan in bamboo?

Sharma, Divyeshwari September 22, 2020

I am new to bamboo and one question is spinning in my head that Why we need Child plan in bamboo? while there is already upstream and downstream relation in tasks. If something is dependent on each other then we can configure it using "add tasks".

1 answer

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2020

Hi @Sharma, Divyeshwari,

Welcome to the Community!

The need for Chile plans depends on your build process. 

In my environment, we have multiple repositories that all build a small piece of a larger application.

You are correct that we "could" checkout all of the repositories in a single plan and build it all together.  But, that would mean we are rebuilding EVERYTHING any time a change is made in just one of the repositories, which I don't want.  I only want to re-build that which has changed.

So what we ended up doing is creating about 10 different plans that all build their components independently and create a shared artifact.

Then we have a single build plan that is a child plan of all of the other 10 plans.  This plan will download the latest artifact from all of the plans and do the additional packaging step we need once we have all of the built pieces together.

This is our use case for using child plans, I'm sure there may be others out there as well.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Sharma, Divyeshwari September 30, 2020

Hi @Jimmy Seddon ,

Thanks For giving appropriate answer of my question. It helped me a lot.

-Divyeshwari

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events