Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who can create or delete projects and plans ?

Olivier Vandevoorde December 1, 2011

Hi,

I know how to set permissions in Bamboo, but I'm searching for some best practices in division of responsabilities.

In the company I work, we have a developers team and a quality/operations team. I'm member of second one.

One of the things the quality/operations team maintain is the complete build infrastructure : bamboo, nexus, sonar.

On bamboo, for every application a fixed set of plans are created for every project : a continuous integration plan, nightly build plan, a release plan, a deploy plan, a sonar plan. These fit in our continuous delivery process.

The development team can only view and run the first 3 plans. The development team can't create projects and plans. If they want a new plan, e.g. a branch plan they need to ask the qualtiy/opertions team.

Tody the development team asks to have the permission to create plans.

The questions are :

1. Are there reasons why or why not to grant the development team this permission?
  2. What are best practices on this topic?
  3. Should we deliver a limited user interface (command line) to let them for instance create plans according to predefined rules
  4. Plans for branches only have to exist for a limited period of time. Who will delete them when there are obsolete?

1 answer

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2011

I can only answer part of the question. If you have a set of plans that need to be generated regularly, the Bamboo Command Line Interface cloneBuild action can be used to automate cloning template plans that you have configured they way you want into a new or existing project. Similarly, deleteBuild or deleteProject actions can do cleanup. This requires 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT level or above.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events