What is the meaning of 10 jobs limitation in Bamboo Starter Edition?

Senthil R March 4, 2014

What is 10 jobs limitation in Bamboo Starter Edition, Is it max jobs I can create or max jobs I can run concurrently?

5 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2014
The starter license is limited to 10 jobs in the system. From my experience this includes branch plans. Starter agents only has local agents. The system will only allow you to create 10 jobs system wide. (Deployment plans are not included).
Senthil R March 4, 2014

I just created more than 10 jobs in a project and it let me create and run them, I am not sure what they mean by jobs here.

Jason Goemaat November 15, 2015

Were you on the $10 starter license, or were you on evaluation?

3 votes
Todd March 4, 2014

https://www.atlassian.com/software/bamboo/pricing/?tab=download#download-license-details

They call them agents instead of jobs. You will be able to use 10 concurrent agents at any one time. As long as you have an agent free you will be able to build or test a job.

If you try to run 11 jobs at once, 1-10 will start and 11 will wait until an agent is ready.

Tim Malone May 25, 2018

I'm not sure this is correct. Agents and jobs are different things. You can have unlimited local agents on any plan, but you can't (from what I can tell) _define_ more than 10 jobs in total on the Starter plan.

2 votes
Jason Goemaat November 17, 2015

As stated in Balazs's comment, they have an answer in their starter licensing page at the bottom.  Bamboo's hierarchy is Project->Plan->Stage->Job->Task.  So I have one branch in one repository I automatically build from Bitbucket Server locally.  That's one project containing one plan containing 1 stage with 1 Job that has 5 tasks (checkout, build, custom script, run tests, parse test results).  So I could automatically build and test 10 separate branches in the same or different repositories with this simple setup.

Bamboo

1. What restrictions are there when using a Bamboo Starter License?

With a Bamboo Starter License, you are restricted to 10 build Jobs, and 0 remote agents, but can run unlimited local agents.  A Job is a single build unit within a Plan. One or more Jobs can be organised into one or more Stages. Given a 10 Job limit, you may distribute your Jobs between up to 10 Plans - for example, one Job per Plan or all 10 Jobs within one Plan. There is no limit on the number of times a Plan is built/executed.

Please note that use of the Plan Branches has a multiplicative effect on the number of jobs configured, and therefore an effect on the 10 jobs cap. For example, a plan with two jobs that is building against a total of three branches (the plan's original branch, plus two additional branches) will contribute 6 jobs toward the limit. 

0 votes
JolyonKB December 5, 2016

The job multiplier on branches is an unfairly onerous restriction, especially for Bitbucket git repositories using a release branch management style as apparently the master branch is automatically included along with other configured branches.

For example, we added develop and a feature branch to our plan with two jobs.  That is counting as 6 jobs (including master branch) toward the starter license limit!  Unless there are some settings or hidden jobs I am missing.

kjordan2001 August 21, 2018

Yeah, that's one thing that drove me to TeamCity.  They should eliminate branches taking up jobs as you can't get very much done with that.  You'd end up with a couple plans with branches at most which isn't very helpful.  TeamCity doesn't use branches as part of it and you get 100 build configurations for free with 3 build agents.  Bamboo can't nearly match that right now.  It's too bad because I like the design of Bamboo better.  Jenkins Blue Ocean is probably the next best bet.

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2014

The limitation is on Plans, there's no limit on the amount of Jobs in these plans.

Balazs Sebesteny March 17, 2014

Actually the opposite is stated here: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/starter#bamboo-1

With a Bamboo Starter License, you are restricted to 1 local agent and 10 Jobs. .... Given a 10 Job limit, you may distribute your Jobs between up to 10 Plans - for example, one Job per Plan or all 10 Jobs within one Plan.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events