Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSBuild locks up just before creating the DLL

Carl Davis January 20, 2020

Given:

• Using Bamboo version 6.10.4 build 61009, 21 Nov 19
  • Running on Windows server 2012
  • Starting builds manually using start-bamboo.bat
  • Using MSBuild to compile C
  • License is the $10.00 version, recently paid

Issue:

When the compile starts, the obj are Making and made, but when it gets to :myprogram.lib : myprogram.exp changed" it locks up.  I thought it was just slow so I left it there for an hours, and it was still hung.

If myprogram.sln is compiled in the IDE, it compiles ok.  If I call the compiler via the command line, it compiles ok.  If I call MSBuild through Bamboo, it hangs when creating the DLL.  If I use Bamboo and setup my Default Job to use the Command Line task instead of MSBuild built in task to call MSBuild, it hangs.

I have passed MSBuild the .sln and the project file, it does not matter, Bamboo still hangs.

Are there any MSBuild configurations that are know to work?

Any ideas at all why this hangs when generating the dll?

Thanks,

Carl

1 answer

1 vote
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Carl Davis,

Welcome to the Community!

We have been using Bamboo for quite some time, most of our builds are C#, those we have recently started using .NET Core and we still have once legacy C++ build that happens.

When you mention that running via MSBuild directly without using Bamboo works is that being done on the same machine that Bamboo is installed on?

The first thing that comes to mind for me when I hear things are hung is if enough system resources are available for the Bamboo server.

I start by clicking on the admin cog in the Bamboo interface and in the left hand menu go to the very bottom and click on the "Troubleshooting and support tools link"  Then in the main page that comes up click on the log analyzer tab and wait for it to load.  This will give you a summary of all the errors that are being reported in your system log file.  I'd start by looking there to see if anything is wrong.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Carl Davis January 21, 2020

Thanks for the suggestion Jimmy.

"Hercules didn't find any known problems in the following log file:"

Good suggestion and I will monitor that location in the future.

And, yes to your earlier question.  Same box (vm), same code base, same folders listed in the command line options, etc.  Sometimes I wish there were more detailed logging to what is going on.  MsBuild does not report anything in the Bamboo logs, there are no errors from Bamboo, nothing.  MsBuild just hangs and reports about 53% CPU usage in Task Manager.  If I use TaskManager and kill MsBuild, Bamboo knows it stopped and continues with the log stating "Failing task since return code of ...MsBuild ...rsp was 1 while expected 0".

But, if the same folders, same machine, same everything is run at the command line, it succeeds but fails with Bamboo.  I'm basically at a loss.

There wouldn't happen to be a limit to the size of the .dll produced in Bamboo, right?  My resulting dll is just over 20 Mb, but that would be the MsBuild, and not Bamboo.  Right?

Thanks,

Carl

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events