Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job limit on starter license

Daniel Adolfsson October 9, 2019

I'm currently using Bamboo with the starter license, and I'm supposed to have a 10 job limit. I thought that Plan Branches were counted as well, but I've been able to create 13 or so plan branches on this license (the plan having 1 job).

I've been writing a custom integration between my git repository and Bamboo, and I was hoping the API endpoint would fail if I tried to go over the job limit, but it does not.

Is this an error, or is this by design? How is the job limit enforced? Or have they changed how they count jobs?

3 answers

2 votes
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2019

We've changed the way we count the jobs in Bamboo 6.9. We only count 'unique'*)  jobs and branched jobs are not considered 'unique'.

*) unique being somewhat a loose term, we don't compare the actual content of the jobs...

1 vote
Rafael Pinto Sperafico
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2020

Hi @Daniel Adolfsson ,

Thank you for your inquire.

Atlassian Bamboo has changed over past releases (as @Marcin Gardias mentioned) and the documentation has not been updated to reflect all of those, therefore, I will try to summarise the Starter License count.

• PROJ-PLAN-JOB1, counted against license
  • If PROJ-PLAN-JOB1 and PROJ-PLAN0-JOB1 are equal, not counted against license
  • If PROJ-PLAN-JOB1 and PROJ-PLAN0-JOB1 are divergent, counted against license
  • If PROJ-PLAN doesn't have Bamboo Specs code, all branches are same and don't
  • count against license
  • If PROJ-PLAN contains Bamboo Specs code, all branches are divergent and count against license

Disabling a JOB does not free the license count, it is require to delete the JOB so a new one can be created. Due to this "limitation", it would be wise to make use of Bamboo Specs, so you can have your plans configuration in YAML or Java as a backup in case you need to restore it/them.

Please, have a look at Exporting existing plan configurations to Bamboo Specs for more information.

Hope the above clarifies things.

Kind regards,
Rafael

Rafael Pinto Sperafico
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2020

Hi @Daniel Adolfsson ,

I have created a feature request to reduce friction on this matter - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-20919 - Starter License should allow unlimited jobs with 1 local agent

Please, feel free to comment on the link above.

Kind regards,
Rafael

0 votes
Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2020

Just in case if anyone landed in this thread via search engines, we created a dedicated page that explains these scenarios in detail along with a query that you can run to list those Bamboo jobs that are counted for license restrictions. 

Cheers,
Jey

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events