cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating xUnit with Bamboo

vjijo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 27, 2017

We are using xUnit to run our Unit testing for our .NET Core project . I'm a newbie to Bamboo and we are using Bamboo for  CI and Octpopus for CD.

What's the best way to implement the xUnit testing framework and also best practice to run the Unit test whether its before or after a deployment.

Thanks,

2 answers

0 votes
Wes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 15, 2018

Always run unit tests before deploying!  The whole point is to fail the build if tests fail so that you do not deploy faulty code.

xUnit Integration to Bamboo:

It's a one-line script:

1. Create a "Script" task in your Bamboo job.
  2. Set the script to use whatever shell you are comfortable with
  3. Enter the below command in the inline editor:
    1. dotnet test --logger "trx;LogFileName=someNameForResults.trx" mySolution.sln or test.csproj path
  4. Add a task for MSTest Parser
  5. Give the parser the folder path to where someNameForResults.trx is saved.

It may be helpful to run the dotnet test command outside of Bamboo to see where the files are being saved.  You can also view the logs to see where Bamboo is saving and looking at for the .trx

0 votes
Ashvin Narayanan December 1, 2018

@vjijo Not sure if there’s an xUnit task available out of the box; the lack of documentation for xUnit on Bamboo leads me to believe there isn’t.

Having said that, there’s always the Script task, so you can just execute the xUnit CLI as part of a script.

As for whether it’s best practice to run unit tests before or after, that’s the same as answering the question: “Is it better to catch bugs and fix them before your product gets released or after?”.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events