Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't see a push on success on the GateKeeper option of Plan Branching?

Chad DeShaw January 2, 2015

HI,

What I want to do seems pretty simple but at the same time for me seems really difficult to setup in Bamboo and Stash.

I created a Develop branch of my Master Branch in Stash, I created a build plan in Bamboo and  manually created a Plan branch for the develop branch. I want the develop branch to be auto merged with master upon successful builds of the develop branch. I enabled Branch merging on the Develop plan branch and choose Gatekeeper(Here is where I get lost).

The Checkout has the name of my build plan, the merge from has the name of develop branch(shouldn't this be master?) the checkbox by merge result is checked but the name is the name of my build plan? I guess I am confused what is the From and To on this screen. I also don't see a Push on Option at all which really confuses me.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2015

Hello Chad,

Thank you for your question.

Since you have integrated Bamboo and Stash through application links, there is no need to create a branch manually. Instead, you could have enabled Create plan branches for branches detected in the repository under "Plan configuration >> Branches >> Automatically manage branches" which would create the branch automatically once something was committed to that Branch (i.e.: develop) in Stash.

If you are planning on using Gatekeeper, you can simply go to your branch (i.e.: develop) in Bamboo, under "Branch details >> Merging", enable Branch merging enabled and select Gatekeeper. Please, set it up as per following:

Checkout: Auto Merge
Merge from: develop # your branch should be selected automatically
Build: Merge result
       [x] Auto Merge

The above should be enough to merge from sth to master. In case you continue on experiencing difficulties, I would kindly suggest you on raising a Support ticket. Before you do, please make sure of reproducing the issue you are experiencing as new entry logs will be generated and we will be able to investigate this issue further.

If you find this answer useful, I would kindly ask you to accept it so the same will be visible to others who might be facing the same issue you have inquired.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

0 votes

I am still confused if I enable Create plan branches for branches detected in the repository and check Branch merging enabled than select gatekeeper and choose checkout of develop merge from current branch X auto merge back to develop, would I than have to modify the develop branch so that is the only branch that is auto merged back into Master?

I am also confused by what Stash says :

The integration branch used for development. Feature branches are merged back into this branch
The branch used for deploying releases. Typically, this branches from the development branch and changes are merged back into the development branch

Should I remove the Production branch on the branching model configuration screen in Stash or should I changed it from Default to develop since default would be master?
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2015

Hello Chad, Gatekeeper will merge whatever branch you have into your master branch. If you have changed your master branch to something else, this branch will be the master then. If you have enabled Branch merging enabled after having created the develop branch in Bamboo, then it is required to go your branches and enable the merging. For future branches, they will pick up the setting automatically. — Kind regards, Rafael P. Sperafico Atlassian Support

My master branch is still the default. Let me ask what I want to do in a different way I want all feature branches auto merged into the develop branch, the only branch I want auto merged into master is the develop branch. Is that not possible? Also how would release branches be handled? I am trying to use a GitFlow workflow for this repository.

I think I am wrong on how I was thinking GitFlow should work, I now think Development branch should never be merged into Master, only release branches should be merged into master. Is that correct?

rsperafico
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2015

Hello Chad, To better answer to your question, I would kindly suggest you to refer to https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows for further information. — Kind regards, Rafael P. Sperafico Atlassian Support

Chad DeShaw January 5, 2015

I have already read that several times.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events