How to tell if a plugin is used in a Bamboo build plan?

We are planning to upgrade from Bamboo 4.4.5 to the latest version. It turns out that many of the plugins we have in our 4.4.5 instance are not available in a compatible version with the latest Bamboo. I know some of the plugins were originally installed 'on speculation' that we might use them, and probably are not being used.

I'd like to know for sure what plugins are actually being used. We have almost 800 build plans, so manually looking at every job is not an option.

Is there something in the admin section of bamboo that I've missed that will list the plugins being used? Or, a database query I can use to see what plugins are being used?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Hi Ken,

You can check which plugins are currently installed in your 4.4.5 instance by going to Bamboo Administration > Plugins > Manage Add-Ons. There you can see all the User-installed add-ons.

To check which plans use which plugins, you can connect to your database and run this SQL query:

SELECT p.title AS project, b.title AS plan,
(SUBSTRING(bd.xml_definition_data,
        (LOCATE('<pluginKey>', bd.xml_definition_data)) +11,
        (LOCATE('</pluginKey>', bd.xml_definition_data) - 11 - LOCATE('<pluginKey>', bd.XML_DEFINITION_DATA)))) AS plugin_key
  FROM build             AS b
  JOIN build_definition  AS bd ON b.build_id = bd.build_id
  JOIN project           AS p  ON b.project_id = p.project_id
WHERE plugin_key IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY project, plan;

NOTE: This query might not work depending on the database you use. This works with HSQL at least.

This retrieves the Project name, the Plan name, and the keys of the plugins they use. If you just want to see the keys of the plugins being used regardless of project or plan, this SQL query can tell you that:

SELECT DISTINCT
(SUBSTRING(bd.xml_definition_data,
        (LOCATE('<pluginKey>', bd.xml_definition_data)) +11,
        (LOCATE('</pluginKey>', bd.xml_definition_data) - 11 - LOCATE('<pluginKey>', bd.XML_DEFINITION_DATA)))) AS plugin_key
  FROM build             AS b
  JOIN build_definition  AS bd ON b.build_id = bd.build_id
  JOIN project           AS p  ON b.project_id = p.project_id
WHERE plugin_key IS NOT NULL;

NOTE: This query might not work depending on the database you use. This works with HSQL at least.

Then you can compare the Add-ons page with the query results, and uninstall the user-installed plugins not being used.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Support

With a few tweaks to work with mySql, it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,096 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot