Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set a custom branch key id in Bamboo?

cirosantilli May 17, 2019

By default, when I create a new branch, it gets plan keys as MAINKEY0, MAINKEY1, MAINKEY2, etc.

Is there a way to customize this so I can have more meaningful names, e.g. MAINKEY_FEATURE1, MAINKEY_FEATURE2?

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2019

Hi @cirosantilli

Bamboo doesn't provide a way to customize this. I believe it would require dramatic changes in the way we reference plans/branches internally on DB.

The best I can provide to you is a query where you can get a clue of what you build on that plan branch. I say a clue because the real source branch is saved on a more complex structure on DB to allow plan branches to diverge from the main configured source repository.

This is the query that may help you:

SELECT title,
      description,
full_key
FROM build
WHERE build_type='CHAIN_BRANCH'

I hope it helps.

cirosantilli May 21, 2019

Thanks for the reply Daniel. I'll continue copy pasting branch IDs on the browser address bar for now I guess :)

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2019

I don't know what exactly is the navigation issue you are trying to mitigate, but if it is moving between branch results, could the branch dropdown beside the plan name help?

cirosantilli May 21, 2019

We use the branch IDs in filenames to store test results in unique places with bamboo_ variables. If you look at the filesystem, you don't immediately know what the directories are for.

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2019

Got it! 
Do you think it would be useful if you concatenated the branch name as well to produce the file/folder name?
It is available in this variable:

bamboo.planRepository.<position>.branchName

It would allow you to easily identify the plan branch affected.

cirosantilli June 18, 2019

I'm looking into adding branch name to paths. It would help if the "master branch ID" MASTERID were visible in the secondary branches in a variable. Currently we only see separate ids for the secondary branches: MASTERID1.

With that, I would more cleanly reach the optimal file structure:

MASTERID/$bamboo_planRepository_branch/$bamboo_buildNumber

without sedding off the numbers at the end of MASTERID1.

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
June 18, 2019

Hi @cirosantilli

There is no variable with this information available out of the box, but we could build it from the ${bamboo.planKey}.

I would use a command like:

echo ${bamboo.planKey} | sed -E 's/([A-Z0-9]+-[A-Z]+)[0-9]*/\1/g'

⚠️Please notice that you might need to adjust the sed command configuration depending on the operating system used.
Another important point to take into consideration is that you should not have plan keys with numbers in the master branch (which usually is not the case, at least Bamboo will not suggest a plan key with a number when creating the plan).

Please let me know if there is anything I can still assist you in this.

cirosantilli June 20, 2019

Thanks Daniel, I considered that sed, and it would work most of the time, but it would fail if the master bamboo.planKey ends in digits however.

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
June 20, 2019

Hi @cirosantilli, yes I know. The DB and the Sed are the only options I see at the moment. I hope you don't have any plan key with numbers. They will never be suggested by Bamboo... but can be deliberately created if a user decides to do so.
You can check if there is any like that using the query below:

SELECT title,
description,
full_key
FROM build
WHERE build_type='CHAIN'

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events