How to run builds on other servers

Running Bamboo 4.3.3. I have looked for this in the UI and in Google to no avail. I am building a project in Python that has a bunch of dependencies. We are using virutalenv, whch allows us to define specific dependencies such as Python version, modules etc. independent of whatever python version modules etc. are installed on a specific machine. We can then do: $> workon {projectname} and then use whatever is defined in the virutal env. So, what I want to do is be able to run my tests in Bamboo using the virutal env. Is there a way to checkout the repo and run the tests on another server, other than the Bamboo server? Do I need a "remote agent"? If so, how do I add one? Do I need to be an admin?

1 answer

Hi Aaron,

Based on your description, yes you would need a Remote Agent, if indeed you have Bamboo licensed for such. You do not necessarily need to be an admin to install and add one, but you need to be an admin to configure capabilities for it that are not auto-detected and to approve its registration if your Bamboo admin has remote agent authentication turned on. You can find details about installing Remote AGents here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Bamboo+remote+agent+installation+guide

Long story short, you basically go to a remote machine, download the remote agent JAR, which is a headless daemon, run an install command and then start the agent. It "phones home" to the Bamboo server letting it know it is alive and available for builds. Bamboo can then distribute builds to all available remote agents.

If you indeed end up using multiple remote agents keep in mind the parallelization Bamboo uses between Stages and Jobs. Stages execute sequentially, but Jobs within a single Stage execute in parallel, if indeed there are multiple available remote agents that match those Jobs' requirements.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,562 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you