Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get bamboo revision # to change on a build for a plan

Chris Johnston May 1, 2018

We have a bamboo plan using a git repository -- The plan is configured to check out master by default.

During the plan, it merges another branch into master, updates the version and commits a new tag.  This makes new commits into master.

What I'd like is the plan summary page once it is complete, to reference this new git commit #. 

However, regardless of what I try, it only ever references what initially triggered the plan.  Because of this, the list of commits and linked jira issues all reference the old version on master instead of the new version that was just created/merged.  So for example if this is created releases (release 1, release 2, release 3, etc) then the summary page for the release 2 build, contains all the info for release 1 (because it points to the release 1 git revision #), and once release 3 is done, then that page points to release 2, etc.

I've tried making a second child plan that is triggered at the end, but this child plan carries over and checks out the previous revision too and will not update to the latest.

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Carreon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2018

Hi Chris,

The revision numbers are generated on the initial pull at the start of the Plan. This means that changing the revision number is not currently possible with the way Bamboo functions.

Regards,

Bill

Chris Johnston May 4, 2018

Is there any suggestion on how to do this?  I imagine multiple people in the community do merges as part of their build plan and want the build pages to indicate the actual set of changes based on the commits after that merge.

Since child plans inherent the revision number from the parent -- I was unable to split it into two plans to get the information correct.  Is there some other way to achieve this?

Nic Wainwright November 11, 2020

Were you ever able to come to a good solution here? I also am experiencing the same dilemma 

Chris Johnston November 11, 2020

Nope.  Bamboo still works this way, and I could not find a way around it.  As such, we just ignore this aspect of Bamboo.  It's a broken feature.

Harsh Shridhar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 12, 2022

Anyone able to find some workaround here yet ? We are in same situation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events