Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Configure A Remote Agent to Run Jobs On Another Server

Scott A_ Chase March 28, 2023

I am just getting started as a system administrator helping our Bamboo users and myself configure remote agents on a single node Bamboo Data Center instance.  We have the remote agent installed and configured on one Bamboo server (server1) and want to run jobs/builds on a different Bamboo server (server2).  Is that possible and if so how?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2023

Hello @Scott A_ Chase

Though not recommended, Bamboo still allows Local Agents to run on the same Bamboo server. Local agents will be bound to their Bamboo application and not serve other Bamboo instances. Local Agents share the same JVM resources as the main Bamboo application, which may impact Bamboo's ability to process heavy transactions, so use it cautiously.

Local agents have been deprecated and will be discontinued in the long run. So we recommend you plan your configuration and focus on Remote or Elastic Agents.

Considering you have spare CPU and memory, you can install multiple remote agents on the same host by assigning different -Dbamboo.home properties values to the installer and connect them to the same or even different Bamboo server(s).

You can also install a remote agent on the same server that runs the Bamboo application; that agent will not share the same resources as the JVM that runs Bamboo, so be mindful about how you allocate the CPU and memory resources and don't end up causing any resource contention due to heavy loads that may impact the application.

Thank you,

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC

--please don't forget to Accept the answer if the reply is helpful-- 

Scott A_ Chase March 29, 2023

Eduardo,

Thanks.  I have been able to install and configure multiple remote agents on a single Bamboo server.  The question for still is "how do I connect this remote agent to a Bamboo server other than the one it is actually running on?"

Scott

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2023

Hello @Scott A_ Chase

You can modify the <bamboo-agent-home>/conf/wrapper.conf file and adjust their properties to point to a different Bamboo server.

Once your Agent is restarted, you'll have to authorize it on the Bamboo server as if that were a new Agent.

Sincerely,

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC

--please don't forget to Accept the answer if the reply is helpful-- 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Scott A_ Chase March 30, 2023

Thanks for the help.... 

Thankfully, one of my coworkers pointed out the URL used in the remote agent install process indicates where the remote agent should run.  I have gone through all the remote agent documentation numerous times and nowhere can I recall seeing anything that clearly indicated that.  It would be helpful to include something in the documentation that clearly says that.  Had I more experience with administering Bamboo that may have been more obvious to me but as a newbie, it certainly was not.

It is also good to know that I can update/change the URL in the wrapper.conf file.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events