Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ensuring a build is done from release/ or master branches

Amit.Jaggi@macquarie.com March 8, 2019

How can we ensure that certain Bamboo jobs can only run from a release or master branch of the code. Need to put control to check as to how the developers could avoid build from a feature branch and release to Production without a code review?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2019

Hi Amit.Jaggi@macquarie.com

This is how I see the software development workflow part you are having trouble:

1. The code is committed
  2. A Bamboo plan compiles it and a set of tests is run
  3. The code is reviewed
  4. The code is merged into master or the main branch
  5. The code is deployed
    1. It could be deployed to a test environment
    2. It could be deployed to production

Of course, this is a pretty generic and simplified view of the process. I see your question is on how to separate the deployment part after the code review. Please correct me if I'm wrongly interpreting you.

This are the options I see:

• Option 1: What is done by those jobs that you don't want to run could be in deployment. The deployment would be configured to run for a specific branch, that could be Master or Release.
  • Option 2: You could use just your plan for this, no deployment. You could make sure that the jobs that should run only after the code review would be configured in a stage that is run manually. After every code review, you would need to manually run that/those stages.

Please share your comments on what I stated above so we can evolve our thoughts together and find a solution for your case.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events