Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Bamboo Java spec have something like YAML's "!include"?

james_mckean April 30, 2021

We are weighing Bamboo YAML against Bamboo Java specs.  We are looking for scalability features. There is a feature of YAML, "!include", that allows the inclusion of other files in the bamboo.yml file. This would help us manage a high volume of spec files.

Is there a similar feature in Bamboo Java Specs?

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2021
james_mckean May 3, 2021

That explains how to use !include in Yaml specs, but what I am asking is whether  I accomplish the same thing using the Java spec.  Since I am not a Java programmer, this may be a very naive question, but I am trying to figure out how to combine multiple build programs, connecting with different source code repos, in one Java Spec file.  

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2021

Oh, sorry I messed it up.

Regarding Java specs. First of all all files should be kept at same repo unless you want to deal with dependencies management using Maven\Artifactory.

In Java language you have concept of classes which are generally kept at different files and have access to each other.

So Java language is more scalable here, some of Atlassian teams use YAML Specs if they need to manage few plans, but if you need to manage 50+ plans then Java is more convenient tool. For example Jira dev team manages 4500+ plans at Java Specs.

Like # people like this
james_mckean May 5, 2021

After a few hours with a Java basics book, I was thinking that external classes would be a key.  Thanks for the confirmation. 

I would love a chance to learn more about how teams approach this.  When are separate plans used, when are edits applied to spec files for a core plan, etc.  Are you aware of any resources you could point us toward that discusses organizing and running a 50+ plan program using Java Specs?

Thanks

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
May 5, 2021

I'm not aware of any external resources about organising of Specs code. Every team gradually evolves their codebase and follow approach which works best for them.

In Bamboo team we have combination of classes with plan config and utility classes for common operations like running test task, artifact definitions, docker images config etc.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
james_mckean May 6, 2021

In case others are looking I did find this article about one approach.

https://yayimorphology.org/bamboo-specs-project-sharing.html

I am still struggling to completely understand it, but it is at least a pointer.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events