Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo will not start at boot.

Duain Christensen February 18, 2020

After restarting our bamboo instance we are getting the below errors and are unable to login to bamboo.  We have not upgraded or made any changes recently.

Bamboo home directory comes from version 6.2 or older (build number [60605]) but database does not contain build number.  I wondering what the best solution is to resolve this issue.

We are currently running version 6.6.1.

I see the below error in my bamboo server logs.  Is it possible to just add the build version into the db table?  This instance has been up for over a year before it was rebooted.  I was hoping to get the instance back up and running.

]
2020-02-18 14:50:26,638 FATAL [localhost-startStop-1] [BuildNumberInHomeMatchesDatabase] Bamboo home directory comes from version 6.2 or older (build number [60605]) but database does not contain build number
2020-02-18 14:50:26,671 FATAL [localhost-startStop-1] [BootstrapUpgradeManagerImpl] Task 3 failed
com.atlassian.bamboo.upgrade.exception.ValidationException: Your Bamboo instance could not start because Bamboo home directory does not match database. Contact Atlassian Support at https://support.atlassian.com
at com.atlassian.bamboo.upgrade.tasks.validation.BuildNumberInHomeMatchesDatabase.doUpgrade(BuildNumberInHomeMatchesDatabase.java:59)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.upgrade.BootstrapUpgradeManagerImpl.runValidationTask(BootstrapUpgradeManagerImpl.java:134)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.upgrade.BootstrapUpgradeManagerImpl.lambda$runValidationTasks$0(BootstrapUpgradeManagerImpl.java:93)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.upgrade.AbstractUpgradeManager.forEachTask(AbstractUpgradeManager.java:151)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.upgrade.BootstrapUpgradeManagerImpl.runValidationTasks(BootstrapUpgradeManagerImpl.java:93)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.setup.DefaultBootstrapManager.runValidationTasks(DefaultBootstrapManager.java:373)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.setup.DefaultBootstrapManager.performPersistenceUpgrade(DefaultBootstrapManager.java:277)
at com.atlassian.config.bootstrap.DefaultAtlassianBootstrapManager.init(DefaultAtlassianBootstrapManager.java:77)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.setup.BootstrapLoaderListener.contextInitialized(BootstrapLoaderListener.java:116)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4842)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5303)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:147)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1407)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1397)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
2020-02-18 14:50:26,673 FATAL [localhost-startStop-1] [DefaultBootstrapManager] Validation tests failed: Your Bamboo instance could not start because Bamboo home directory does not match database. Contact Atlassian Support at https://support.atlassian.com

Thanks,

Duain Christensen

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2020

Sounds like you're starting the wrong "binary." This happens when you start up an old version of the application and point it to a newer database.

Duain Christensen February 19, 2020

Its running on the correct version.  I see in the logs every time over the last year or so version 6.6.1 starting.   I saw in some docs that the db validation is checking the table bandana in the bamboo db.  When I check I see the following:

bamboo=# select * from BANDANA where BANDANA_KEY = 'bamboo.db.version';
bandana_id | build_id | bandana_key | serialized_data
------------+----------+-------------+-----------------
(0 rows)

I apparently don't have a db version set in the bamboo db table.

Is it possible to insert the db version number into the db to get past the DB validation in bamboo? 

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2020

If the application is complaining that it can't find the version in the db, you have a bigger problem (ie: simply adding it won't solve the issue.) It sounds like the application is pointing to the wrong database.

Duain Christensen February 19, 2020

Its a local Postgres db on the bamboo server.  There is only the bamboo database, so I'm certain its not pointing to the wrong database.  Previously we were running atlassian bamboo version 5.15.5 and are now running version 6.6.1.  Looking at an old test instance running atlassian bamboo 5.10.3, I see there is the same issue with no BANDANA_KEY with bamboo.db.version set.  I'm wondering if my problem is related to BAM-18718?

Looks like this maybe related to the upgrade we did in 2018 possibly.  I'm guessing then my only option is to completely reinstall the instance from scratch?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events