Bamboo support Kubernetes?

Erik Liu February 6, 2017

Bamboo support Kubernetes?

We are comparing Bamboo and Jenkins now, any one can help me on it?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2017

So the direct answer to your question is that there is no plugin in the Bamboo marketplace that provides support for Kubernetes.  

The two common usages would be (a) to run agents on Kubernees and (b) to choreograph activities on Kubernetes in you build plans or deployment projects.  Both of these can be done without direct support but will require more scripting in your favorite scripting language...

HTH

-Rich

Erik Liu February 8, 2017

Thanks

Boris Van Hardeveld
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 18, 2020

I would like to add to this answer as the situation has changed since, and this thread is still a reference for this question. In terms of (a) running Bamboo Agents on Kubernetes, there are now two options:

(1) The Per Build Container project by Atlassian (available at https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/per-build-container/src/master/), which originated as an internal tool of Atlassian build engineering, and is now offered as a set of open-source Bamboo plugins. The PBC projects supports a number of ‘backends’, of which Kubernetes is one.

(2) The Bamboo Agents for Kubernetes plugin (available at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222674/kubernetes-agents-for-bamboo). Note that I am affiliated with this plugin.

0 votes
Corné Aussems February 7, 2017

Hi Erik,

Actually i stumbled upon this while searching for smth related.
I asked my colleagues to build a Kubernetes plugin, but it took me too long for the planning.

As Rich tells you it is quite straight forward directly or through ant/maven builds.
It mainly depends how you control your kubernetes. In my case we have different environments for each stage.
And afaik you can only run one kubectl per build environment, maybe per user.

Another approach was curl 

-XPOST -d@deployment.json https://10.11.12.13:6443/apis/extensions/v1beta1/namespaces/ahk-dev/deployments -H "Authorization: Bearer eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.....g" -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -k -s

Note you can't use yaml all the time.

All quite educational attempts.

At last i came to learn that the whole build/push/pull/deploy strategy for multiple containers and pods on separated environments became rather complex and an easy to develop/test and clonable build plan would be more useful to me. So i took ant for it 

A snippet of k8s deploy

<target name="kubernetes_deploy" depends="-init">
   <echo>####### TAG: ${k8s.pod.name} #######</echo>
 <antcall if:set="run.init-k8s-namespace.once" target="-init-k8s-namespace" /> 
 <property name="init-k8s.already.executed" value="true"  />
  <!-- Deleting the old deployment to ensure a deployment //--> 
         <sshexec host="${ssh.k8s.master.ip}" port="${ssh.k8s.master.port}" 
    username="master" keyfile="${ssh.k8s.master.key}" passphrase="${ssh.k8s.master.key.password}" trust="true" failonerror="false"
          command="kubectl delete deployment ${k8s.pod.name} --namespace ${k8s.namespace}" />

<!-- copy, rewrite and move the deployment file --> 
 <property name="bak" value="./k8s/${k8s.pod.name}_deployment.yaml" />
 <antcall target="-copy-transform-yamls" />
 <scp keyfile="${ssh.k8s.master.key}" passphrase="${ssh.k8s.master.key.password}" file="${bak}" port="${ssh.k8s.master.port}" todir="master@${ssh.k8s.master.ip}:~/k8s/${k8s.namespace}/" trust="true" />

<!-- run the new deployment -->  
 <sshexec host="${ssh.k8s.master.ip}" port="${ssh.k8s.master.port}" 
 username="master" keyfile="${ssh.k8s.master.key}" passphrase="${ssh.k8s.master.key.password}"
 command="kubectl apply --namespace ${k8s.namespace} -f /home/master/k8s/${k8s.namespace}/${k8s.pod.name}_deployment.yaml" trust="true" failonerror="false" />
 </target>

I think a Kubernetes Task is would be fun, but has as much value and restrictions than the Docker Task.

Cheers,
Corné 

Erik Liu February 8, 2017

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events