Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo's bundled jgit does not treat symbolic links correctly

Don McCasland September 19, 2011
I am trying to add more to the forum thread about this, but when I use the 'reply' button your web interface takes me here, which is more than a little frustrating.
So, I updated to bamboo 3.2.2 hoping this problem would go away with a newer version of jgit, but it has not. We have mac os build projects we would like to bring under control with bamboo, and right now this _serious_ functionality issue is keeping us from moving forward.
Hey folks,

I'm rolling out a new instance of Bamboo 3.1 using a git repository. When I clone the repo using my local git client, symbolic links are checked out correctly, but when Bamboo checks them out the files only contain the name of the files they should be linked to.

I notice that the version of the git plugin is 1.5.1. I don't know if that cooresponds to the actual version of git it is based on or what.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Piotr Stefaniak...

Re: Git plugin not treating symbolic links correctly
Posted: May 25, 2011 5:11 AM  global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Don McCasland
Helpful
Hello Don,

The Bamboo Git Plugin version (i.e. 1.5.1) doesn't correspond to any of the git scm version. Internally Bamboo Git Plugin relies on the jGit library (which is a pure-java implementation of git scm). Apparently the jGit doesn't handle symbolic links well (or at least I'm guessing so). I've raised an issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-8899 on Bamboo tracker so the Bamboo team can investigate what's the root of the problem and schedule a fix.

Is that helpful?

regards,
Piotr Stefaniak
Don McCasland

Posted: May 25, 2011 10:52 AM  global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Piotr Stefaniak...
That is helpful, thanks Piotr! I will comment the bug with anything new I find during my investigation.
Alex Simenduev

Posted: May 26, 2011 12:47 PM  global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Don McCasland
You can add 'git reset --hard' in your build script, this will fix the symbolic links issue. Of course in order this workaround to work you must have git installed on your agent machine

Edited by: Alex Simenduev on May 26, 2011 12:47 PM

1 answer

0 votes
James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2011

Hi Don,

Bamboo 3.4 is being released in the next week that contains support for using the native Git executable instead of JGit (which will handle symbolic links correctly.

Thanks

James

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events